I'm moving to canada...

FaRuvius

Hardest Flusher
Apparently the DOJ (Department of Justice, for you non-USA types) has already started monitoring cable-modem internet traffic. Including obtaining IP addresses, usernames, etc.

All without a warrant!!

Previously, federal law said that "a cable operator shall not disclose personally identifiable information concerning any subscriber." Section 211 of the USA Patriot Act changes the law to read: "A cable operator may disclose such information if the disclosure is ... to a government entity."
-- WIRED Article

I don't know about you guys, but this whole "Homeland Security" "Find and erradicate all known and unknown terrorist's" thing is getting a little out of hand.

So, I'm moving to Canada before the iron curtain comes down again.

FaRuvius

sounds to me like another "Communist Trials" kind of thing.

This stinks... the Fed Gov can "bite my shinny metal ass"...this is not right!

Admiral

... well that's george dubya bush for you ... first chance he gets he goes totally insane... his dad is probably proud of him.
good little boy, turning the us into a police state... thank god i'm in europe, though it isn't really all that much better over here ... :(

Attachments

• gwbush.jpg
    gwbush.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 21
Is this not what the terrorists wanted? Us to lose our freedom, I say to the American Government Fuck You! I live in a free country and if you are going to go back to the 60's and rout out us communist or whatever we are no better than any regime, I am a pacifist and will not fight in your bloody war but I will also not be prosecuted and spied upon without probable cause, and if that means moving to canada then so be it, here is a big middle finger to Macarthyism and thier ilk!

Wow... wait a minute.

They TOLD us they are monitoring, right?
We don't have to use that as our internet service, right?
We don't even have to have internet access.
And we still have the option of using whatever encryption we see fit on our outgoing data.

Folks, this is not loss of freedom. For example, children in Cuba over the age of 8 are not legally aloud to consume milk (adults over the age of 8, too ;-) ).

I can't believe you feel your rights have been infrenged. This is silly. Ok, so the government gets your aol screen name and password. Big woopty do. I can get my entire dorm's email if I so choose to fire up the packet sniffer.

Now, say the government decided that it is illegal to access certain web sites that contain communistic-supportive information. That would be bad.

Simply gathering unencrypted internet data, and telling us they do it IS NOT SO BAD.

We can still send whatever we want over the internet. And our government isn't as sleezy or corrupt as some other governments, so I doubt we will be blackmailed with the information collected or anything.

For example, this entire website is a slap in the face to every country that has ever said "All animals are equals, but some are more equal than others."

If you don't stand up now when do you decide to stand up for your rights? Do you say its ok that they came to take away my neighbor because they haven't taken away my family? Som people chose to fight with arms and joining the military, I chose to fight with my intelect and words and infringement and spying on our own people in ANY form is an infringement on all Americans and thier rights! Yes we do have a choice to not use THAT provider, but what happens when it is on all providers? It goes back to macarthyism, if I get spammed by a suspected terrorist does that mean I should be put on a watch list like they used to have for communists? NO! I am an American! I refuse to live in fear of what I say and who I associate with.

It is an uncomforting thought too that the government did not want programs like PGP to exist for teh public..... I wish there was a "middle finger emoticon" cause I'd give it to the government right about now....

What ever I choose to say or do on the internet is my business...my emails are my business, and my life is my business.

Admiral

Originally posted by Soapvox
Is this not what the terrorists wanted? Us to lose our freedom, I say to the American Government Fuck You! I live in a free country and if you are going to go back to the 60's and rout out us communist or whatever we are no better than any regime, I am a pacifist and will not fight in your bloody war but I will also not be prosecuted and spied upon without probable cause, and if that means moving to canada then so be it, here is a big middle finger to Macarthyism and thier ilk!

It's no better here in Canada. A lot of our internet traffic goes through the US at some point!

Back