imac 233

just4funuk

Registered
Have brought an imac 233mhz which as faulty display so am running it on external monitor.

Is there a program I can use to confirm the 6MB Ram for the onboard video is being recognized. As I am having problems getting some game demos to run on imac that run ok on my Power Mac 7100 with Nubus G3 266MHz 136MB with 1MB Graphics card OS 9. imac has 96MB OS 8.5.1 installed on it.

I believe "Apple System Profiler" will give you detailed information about the chipset and video RAM in that computer.

What are the exact problems you're having? Does the game run at all? Does it give you any error messages?

System profiler displays the graphics card detected but no infomation about memory installed on Card.

The game demos I was trying where old demo's Tomb Raider,Unreal Tournament and Quake.Also tried Myth II.

Myth works Ok

The others just seem to hang system.No error messages just freeze.

Have played on the Myth Demo for probably 30-60 min with no problems.

Decided to replace Harddrive with bigger drive (20GB) and was then going to try a clean install of OS 8 but imac will not boot from my OS8 CDrom.Have been able to prep drive with 8.6 update CDrom which imac will boot from .So divided 20GB HD into 3 Partitions.But can t install OS 8. So re-installed original Harddrive.

That iMac won't install anything before 8.1.

There were two versions of this model.

Rev. "A" shipped with 2 MB and Rage IIc, "B" with 6 MB and Rage Pro.

Just couldnt see any where in OS where system would show graphics memory installed.Even though I know it has the 4Mb extra memory expansion.

Well after updating imac firmware (needed to install for OS update) and installing 8.6 update

Sytem profiler now also displays the graphics card memory.But only detecting 2MB.(Going to take it apart again)

Machine now is running most of the demo games with software rendering.Tomb Raider would not run with Rave said drivers may not be installed.(More infomation than what I was getting before)

Downloaded ATI Pro Drivers and they wont install as the graphics are on board.ATI message suggest getting driver from Hardware vendor.

So am going to search apples site for them.

Thanks to all of you ,for information and help.

Only detecting 2MB so will have to rip it apart again to see why its not detecting the 4MB memory Dimm.

4Mb so-dimm was not making connection in socket.What looks like a glue that had been holding stick had come away.

Once stick was secured in place imac detected extra video memory.

Wanted to upgrade drive in machine with bigger drive.Had no restore disks as wouldnt boot with 8.0 so here is what worked for me.Had to use a Pc though.
1) Connected 20GB drive to mac and booted with 8.6 update disk and prep disk.

2) Connected Mac drive (IDE) to PC IDE channel connected New MAC Drive to PC IDE (20GB)

3) found software that could read Mac drives on PC called Macdrive ran this program.

4) Copied contents of old drive to Partition A on 20GB drive.

5) Installed drive back in imac and machine wouldnt boot.
6) Booted with 8.6 update disk copied contents of partition 1 to partition 3
7)Ran disk first aid on OS 8.6 disk which repaired Partition A. Copied partition C to partition A and booted machine. Machine booted ok. Then installed OS 8.6 update onto drive.

Also upgraded machine to 96MB ram.

Back