imac 333 dead after upgrade

jonmichael23

Registered
my friends imac 333 mhz is dead. He got the 600 g3 harmoni upgrade, installed it without any troubles, and it worked in os 9. We had OS 9.1 and tried installing panther. The first disc installed fine, it restarted, and came up with put in disc 2. We put in disc 2, it acted like it was trying to read the cd, and it sat there for 10 minutes, after trying to put cd back in again to see if it would work nothing happened, so we had no choice but to quit the installer. After doing this the screen went black and white numbers started filling the screen. Whenever we unplugged it and turned it back on, it started in os x went to the startup screen and then back to the black screen with the scrolling numbers. I tried holding down the mouse after turning it off and back on again, but the cd didnt come out. What are the keys you hold down to select the startup disc? Since os 9 is still on the drive i was going to start up in os 9, and redo the os x installation, but forgot what keys you hold down to select the start up disc. Any help appreciated!

Jonathan

To show a listing of available OS's at startup, hold down the option key (may be alt in other countries). However, I have found that this does not show my OS 9 installation, just OS X. You should be able to manually eject the CD by looking for a small hole by the drive and inserting something small and pointy, like an unbent paperclip.

no keyboard shortcuts worked, whenever it went to the scrolling letters screen i started typing in stuff and saw that it was working, i was just typing every single thing and then i hit enter and i have no idea why or how but it went back to the blue screen, and then the login box popped up and asked for a password and when i put in my friends password it said a password could not be accepted at this time and then it just went to the desktop picture and the finder started and then went away, but the disc drive finally opened, i put the 1st installl disc back in, unplugged it, started it up and held i think x to start up from the disc, it took a while , but it finally did, it installed 3/4ths of the way, and again an error message popped up, so we restarted again and when we clicked customize to get rid of languages and stuff it said the essential system software was already installed and the only thing left to install was additional applications, and when it started installing it just went to the end but again an error message came up, this time when we restarted panther came up and it logged in and there was the finder and the dock, and the dock was on the left side of the screen? All the apps were installed (imovie, iphoto, ichat av, safari, stuffit, etc.) even tho it never did read disc two? also, msn messenger was in the dock? My friend had 10.2.8 jaguar with messenger installed, but he had clean installed os 9 so he could put in the processor? but then in os 9 it still had msn messenger, safari, etc in the applications folder. God only knows what happened or how the computer basically fixed itself, put the processor works and its much better, and also before when my friend just had os 9 installed, there was 4.1 gb disk space left (6 gb hard drive) and in os x, it said 4.25? we seriously still cant comprehend what happened, and it is a miracle that it works fine now.......... Now my friend finally doesnt have to bring his cds to my house, import them all his songs, put them on his ipod, now he can use the ipod on his mac (the sonnet 600 g3 upgrade comes with a firewire 400 port, i know this sounds weird but its true - http://www.sonnettech.com/product/harmoni_g3.html) anyway, in the end everything turned out fine, only took 5 hours to get panther installed :D.im still trying to figure out how all this happened......it doesnt make much sense at all

Jon

Not all applications are on Disk 2 -- some are on Disk 1 as well, and that could include Safari and iChat so that may be why you're seeing those apps installed.

It sounds like a kernel panic of sorts that you were experiencing, and I'm pretty sure it's because of that upgrade you put in there. Did you follow all the instuctions when installing the upgrade? Were there software upgrades you need to install included with the processor upgrade?

there was software that had to be installed in OS 9 for the processor to work, and you couldnt install it using classic either. This is my friends computer this happened to, his dad installed it. He said it took him about an hour and a half to do it ( paul's computer literate, but not mac-wise) Actaully I think hes cd drive is messed up, it wouldn't read the 2nd disc, but it sounded like it was working. Whenever panther worked my friend put in the new incubus cd and the songs were skipping in iTunes, and he wasn't in any other program. I think some files might have been copied from disc 2.....anyways everything works fine now. I've read about people having problems with the processor, but hopefully he won't have any more.

cybergoober - yes paragraphs are good indeed, i usually am typing too fast and i forget :p. Will have to be more careful in the future :)

Jon

Back