iMac 800mhz Superdrive 17" Boot problem

scruffymessiah

Registered
Hi all

I recently completed a clean install of Tiger 10.4, which went well. I ran software update and found an upgrade to 10.4.4 which I downloaded successfully. However, there was a problem with the install and Tiger binned it. I rebooted to find that I get the apple symbol, the screen goes a grey/blue colour with the small loading circle revolving near the centre at the bottom. I have left it for hours until the computer finally switches itself off (probably because I set it to power doen the hard drive after 3hrs). I cannot eject the cd drive during this process and have tried unplugging all my peripherals, but still to no avail.

Can anyone help?

Regards

p.s. I'm have been forced to dig out my disgraced PC laptop in order to access this forum.

Hi again

I've managed to get the DVD drive open and have placed my os x 10.4 disc in...anyone have any ideas on what I can do next? I thought a re-install would be the best idea....how can I acive this outside of the OS? Any help right now would br truly appreciated!

Thanks again.

If you are able to boot from the install DVD, you could use Disk Utility from the DVD to run repair permissions. Moreover, you could make sure the start-up volume is the HD. If it were me, and since you just install fresh anyway, I would erase the drive and do a reinstall.

Back