iMac as monitor?

Based on there being 22 iMac models, with up to 29 different frequency combinations, and yet - not one specific iMac model was mentioned in the original post ...

'Can an iMac be used simply as a monitor for a G4 tower?', yes.
'If so, how do you do it', connect to it's VGA connector.

Not directly, but you can use vnc.

But for more specific advise !please! specify the models involved.

I don't think you can. None of them have any inputs for video. I have the iMac G5 before this new one that's out and it doesn't have that feature either. However, I can (once I purchase the cable for it) mirror the desktop to another monitor from my iMac.

iMac G3 running 10.2.8 to be used as monitor for a G4 tower running 10.2.8.

I've seen and read a little about the option of flipping the iMac over and opening it up to find the monitor connection. Looks a bit like more trouble than it's worth, but I'll keep looking into it.

Thanks for the advice.

OK - I stand corrected on the *original* iMac with a CRT screen. And you didn't specify that your tip was for the original iMac either.

But we've had the 'Luxo' model and the new G5 iMac since then.
I've had my 800MHz 2002 iMac disassembled a few times and I can't remember a VGA connector inside it.

From what I've heard, older tray-loading iMacs use standard VGA connectors, while the slot-loading models use something else. So in theory it should be possible with older iMacs (see Barhar's links). I'm afraid "G3 iMac" is not specific enough, since there were (I think) 5 distinct generations of G3 iMacs. :eek:

HOWEVER, one problem I've never heard addressed in detail is the issue of power supply. How can you turn on the monitor without turning on the rest of the iMac? I think this would take some rewiring of your iMac's guts.

I'm no expert on the subject, though. This is just what I've gathered from various places online. The topic was brought up a lot when the Mac mini was first released.

Back