iMac chrome goose neck thing

pcouture

Mac User since 1986
Apparently, the patent which Apple holds for the swivel arm on the new iMac is built to accept a REMOVABLE flat screen.

It does not take that much imagination to think they could possibly come up with a removable "tablet" in the next release or as an option or add-on. The tablet would work very much in the same way as a PDA (stylus, etc.). You cold take it with you and "sync" with the base upon returning home. As a bonus, it also implies that it's a touch screen!

I know, it's quite an expensive thing to take with you. Then there's the lid or cover issue, but still, it's not THAT far fetched...;)

What do YOU think?

Steve Jobs has different options. This could be one. It is not so expensive to make an optical device(used for elections in Belgium and playing Electro), but writing on the screen can make the whole thing not so solid.

Maybe it implies something to do with an optional 17" flat screen later this year? I doubt this is it since it involves having a video card that support higher resolution... Any comments?

That would certainly be innovative, but as much as I hear people talk about a PDA, didn't Jobs specifically say no hand helds? He had his Newton and he hasn't said anything to change his stance of no new PDA.

maybe it's removable just so that they don't have to replace the whole thing when people start reporting cracks in those fancy-dancy clear edges.
:D

If you freeze-frame the iMac promo video on the line "This is an iMac on steroids", when the design is appearing on the screen, you can actually see some sort of components in the neck itself. Probably to make it 'modular' so it will be easier to create new variations on the iMac.

Maybe it implies something to do with an optional 17" flat screen later this year? I doubt this is it since it involves having a video card that support higher resolution... Any comments?

This sounds good, but the Geforce2MX can easily support a higher res. I would get an iMac if the screen was larger. They're probably just waiting for the price to come down some more. I'd like to see it be wide screen like the cinema display.

...such a kickass iMac if Apple had a model that has a cinema display on the chrome neck. :D

Originally posted by simX
...such a kickass iMac if Apple had a model that has a cinema display on the chrome neck. :D

hehe :D
then the half ball would look smaller on pictures :p

it fall over!:confused:

I reckon it's for the optional screen sizes. )or even to flip your screen vertically! Good for A4 size designs etc.)

It would fall over, yes! Everybody who ever carried a Cinema Display knows that ;) These things are heavy, not even the 23 lbs iMac base would balance that out.

I'm sure Apple could just fill all the empty spaces inside the iMac's base with osmium. ;)

Or, knowing Apple, they'll make a super-duper-light cinema display. :)

You know what's interesting, though? Apple officially "supports" picking up the iMac by the neck. In a KBase article that MacFixIt mentioned the other day, it actually showed a picture of someone lifting it up by the neck. That thing must be hella strong...

I saw one at the Raleigh CompUSA 2 days ago. It didn't look like that the screen was removeable, however it had these big things in it.

Apple officially "supports" picking up the iMac by the neck.

Of course, it's the main reason why the "neck" is in strong stainless steel! Like the original iMac, the iMac G4 has it's own "handle" so it would be easier to transport...

Oh, I am truly jealous. Did someone say they saw the new imac at CompUSA in Raleigh. I was just at CompUSA in Greensboro, NC on one of my monthly treks and they didn't have them yet. Maybe I need to plan another trip. I was looking into a G4 tower but with monitor the system would run about $4000. I just want to burn DVDs and 800 MHz is twice my current speed. Does anyone know how hard it might be to replace the hard drive in one of those things. I hate to give up my 120 GB drive for a paltry 40 or 60 GB. I suspect it's like the cube and ibook. Don't go prying around where you don't belong.
-Chet

Replacing the HDD in a Cube is no problem...

But have you considered buying an external firewire casing? It's around 100 bucks and it works like a charm!

Actually the cube is my wife's so I don't dare go messing with it. I have replaced the hard drive in my imac, powerbook (Pismo) and daughters clamshell ibook. The last one was hard on the nerves. I've got several external drive enclosures. I mostly use them for archives and back-up. I find the firewire enclosures for the extra 3.5 inch hard drives to be small (size of the ipod) and useful if not cheaper than buying dedicated external drives. Still, my desk is cluttered with peripherals and cables already so I prefer a large internal drive. The 120 GB 7200 rpm drive in my imac was only $199 at Best Buy. I still think it was mispriced.
-Chet

Did someone say they saw the new imac at CompUSA in Raleigh.
-Chet [/B]
It was ME allright! I can't wait until the Apple store opens in Southpoint Mall in March. In case u were wondering, the CompUSA i meant is the one on Glenwood Ave. in case thers more than 1.

That's the only one in Raleigh as far as I know. I'm originally from Greenville so we used to trek up there to CompUSA (me) and to Crabtree Valley Mall (the rest of the family). I heard you were getting an apple store, thought it was only a rumor. I may have to see about transferring back to NC (Eastern) just so I can get to the apple store on a regular basis.:D

Back