Imac Combo Drive Won't Read Anything

hypertron

Registered
I recently began using my computer again after having to replace the power supply. Since then, my computer has refused to read cd's. It doesn't recognize data cd's at all. For audio cd's my computer mounts them but won't play any of the files and iTunes won't play them either. When I try to play audio cd's in iTunes I can hear combo drive doing something. I'm not sure if this is a software or hardware issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I wonder if the cable for the optical drive that connects to the logic board was ever reconnected by the Apple techs who worked on your iMac. This might be a reason why you're not able to read any discs whatsoever since you got it back. You might want to take it to them and have them look at it, explaining to them that it's stopped reading discs since you got it back from the repair. That is, unless you feel comfortable opening it up and reconnecting the cable yourself. The model you have is very user-accessible, something that changed for the worse with the introduction of the iSight iMac G5 and all Intel iMacs.

Actually I switched out the power supply my self. The only thing I disconnected was the connector from the power supply. The drive does work enough to enable iTunes to access CDDB and retrieve song names, but I can't open the files. It prompts me with a "ignore" or "eject" window when I put in Date cd's.

Back