iMac (Flat Panel) HD upgrade

Cube

Registered
Hi,

i just bought a new iMac and am half way through filling the HD with my CD collection. I am kind of regretting not getting a version with a bigger HD (I have 40GB).

Is the HD in the flatpanel iMac upgradeable? If so, it is a reglar 3.5 HD or laptop drive?

Help and advice appreciated!

joe.

I was under the impression that the iMac hard drive is not upgradeable. You will void the warranty if you open the case to remove the hard drive.

Best bet: Firewire external hard drive.

It's a shame to have to have any unnecessary wires or drives hanging off the thing tho. They look so nice without clutter. See how much you can open before you have to do anything that looks like it will void your warranty (peeling stickers or breaking stuff). If you get to the drive - swap it and see what happens - you can always put the old one back in if it doesn't work!

Stuff that normally requires Apple Certified Engineers just means you need to be a bit careful - like putting ram in the bottom slot of PowerBooks.

That said, if you replace your drive - where you gonna put the 40Gb?!

You can't get past the AirPort slot without voiding the warantee. The memory slots and the AirPort slot are as far in as possible.

It is a real pain in the royal behind to try to change the 3.5" HD. A sexy FW Ext Drive is the way to go man. And you can always hide it somewhere where it is not easily seen if you want the tabletop to be free of clutter. And you can share the FW Drive with other machines as well. And carry data wherever you go.

FW Case prices have dropped dramatically since USB2.0 was released (at least here in Asia).

Get one of those "ice" or "snow" cases. They look sexy sitting beside the G4 iMacs.

Back