Imac Freezes after leopard

krbmedia

Registered
I did an erase and fresh install of Leopard on my 24inch white iMac intel. Now every once in a while it freezes up and I have to use the power button to shut down and restart. The weird thing is the mouse still moves around but every thing else is frozen. Any ideas or suggestions?

Can I ask why you performed the erase/fresh install, krbmedia? Where you having issues?

I gather your copy of Leo is Full Retail? You could try running the Hardware Test ... that will give you a chance, hopefully on narrowing down things.

The weird thing is the mouse still moves around but every thing else is frozen.

I hope the keyboard works as well, or the Hardware Test may be a fizzer ...

I didn't really have anything worth keeping so when I decided to go to leopard, I decided on a fresh install. Why is that relevant?

On an Intel based Mac, insert that disc 1 to your Mac, and hold letter D at boot. This will load it to hte hardware test.
After language selection, ctrl-L to get it to loop mode, and select extended test, and let it run at least for a few hours. You can end the test with the same keyboard combo, or it will stop if it finds an error.

By the way, I upgraded the memory to 3GB (1 1GB stick and 1 2GB stick), based on a benchmark test I read about online (I think at Macworld) that said there was a performance boost. Were they wrong and should it have been 2 of the same sticks?

Back