iMac G3 Slot-Loading Drive Isse

Link00seven

Registered
Hello,

I have an iMac DV SE and its a pretty good machine overall, especially for its age.

I have a problem with the CD-ROM Drive however. I think the motor has died on it, because when I insert a disk it will get stuck and I must help it in, and when I eject the disk it'll get stuck and I will have to use tweezers to get it out. The manual eject button does nothing, and I think this is a physical issue, not anything with the software.

Does anyone know if a fix or if I can replace the drive? If not, can I get a link to a good external CD-ROM drive?

Thanks.

HI; your best bet for a replacement drive is probaly ebay,but if you have never opened your imac,go to this site first "www.whoopis.com" and go to their mac repair manuals link.The Imac slot load Dv is available as a pdf download.It is not too hard to get inside but it is time consuming,lotsa small screws to lose! I just replaced the hard drive on my Imac and it took me about 40 mins,and I've done this before,swapping out the cd would add about 15 mins to this. a external would be just fine on firewire.

Good Luck

Back