iMac g3 won't boot after failed OS 10 install

deepbass909

Registered
My girlfriend has a old G3 400 slot-loading iMac.
An friend of her offered to install OS 10, so she could use this machine for internet and be able to use programs like msn-messenger and skype.
But the stupid guy forgot to update the firmware befor installing OS 10.

The end result is an iMac that won't boot. I know it's a known problem, I found lots of warnings about it, but I can't find a working solution to fix this machine...

The iMac isn't entirely dead. I can hear the chimes, but the screen doesn't turn on and after a couple of seconds the harddisk turns off...
One of the things I found, was that PMU might need resetting and that the battery might be dead. I tested the battery, and it was indeed dead (-0,8 volts instead of the normal 3.6 volts...). Replacing it and resetting the PMU however didn't do the trick...
Connecting an external monitor also didn't give me any information, it just turned white...

I've tried to boot from a linux live cd (Ubuntu ppc version), but the iMac just seems to ignore it...

The biggest problem is, that this is the only iMac I ever worked on. I don't have an extra Mac at my disposal for reïnstalling OS 9...
I'm really stuck here. Who can give me some advise how to solve this and bring this iMac back to life?

the problem is that the mac can't find the built-in monitor. i'm not sure if there is a way to boot with an external monitor and update the firmware. i think google will be your best friend if there is a way.

Sounds as if you fried the video board.This is a common ocurrence in the Imac if you don't update the firmware.Your best bet is to find a good mac tech and have him check it out.It can be repaired, but the cost will be high!

Back