IMac G4 and PC Laptop Networking

gatorman

Registered
I'm a rookie when it comes to networking. I have a IMac G4 17inch 1GHZ, and just installed the Airport Extreme card. I have a new Dell Laptop using Windows XP. I have a cable modem connected directly into the IMac and want to connect the Dell Laptop wirelessly to the internet. I've read a ton of threads and followed the directions but with no luck. The Dell is reading that there is a connection but no luck connecting to the internet. Please help, thank-you. Also, once it I get it connected how do I share files between the two machines?

You can share the interent by using your Mac, but you really should spend another $30-40 and get a wireless router.
This is critical for running a Windows XP machine on a high speed connection, you need the hard firewall to help prevent worms and such.

This router acts as a firewall and also makes it so your Mac doesn't have to be 'On' to use the Internet with your laptop.

I just got this one for my Dad for Xmas
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGR614.php

And he loves it. I set it up for him, and setup was a breeze, and even the aesthetics looked great next to the Mac.

I got it for $29 on sale @ Best Buy.

Once you get this setup, then file sharing is a breeze.

Back