iMac G4 - Broken memory clips

AlanBDahl

Registered
My mother bought a G4 off eBay with an Airport card that I planned on using in my G4. Well in the process of removing the card I snapped off the clips that hold in the RAM. The Apple store told me it would be $400 to repair it! For two tiny small clips that can'h have cost more than a few cents. Kind of like breaking a spark plug cable and being told that the only repair is a new engine.

Is there *any* way of fixing this that doesn't involve cheezy solutions like electrical tape? I've offered to buy the computer from her so she's not out a cent but I'm not happy flushing that much money down the drain and she's not happy that she doesn't get her new computer. Any help would be appreciated!

Labor costs. If you have the pieces you might want to try using a glue - very carefully, I might add. I am not sure you could even get that part unless you are an authorized Apple tech.

It's hard to see how even the best glue could hold it given how small the clips are (they can't be more than 2mm wide) and how much spring pressure there is trying to force the memory chip to rotate upwards. WRT to labor costs anything that costs me less than $400 is good! Can't imagine it would cost that much to solder a new socket onto the board. FYI I am told that the socket is a standard laptop socket.

Well I fixed it! With a little help from the paint guy at Home Depot I was able to find an epoxy that not only worked with metal and plastic but was also strong and flexible. I was a little leery but it worked like a charm and the memory clipped in perfectly!

Back