imac G4 deflation

Sounds as if you already have a buyer. The bundled option is a nice touch, but if you also add prices for singles, you'll cover both bases.

Yeah, that was pretty unexpected, but a nice surprise for the morning!

Back onto the subject that we've discussed on here, pertaining to deflation. Obviously, prices drop a bit whenever newer merchandise comes out, its just the nature of things, but I've always found Apple products to keep much more value for a longer period of time. I know numerous people who prefer the G4 model to the G5, simply because of that arm. The arm was something I never really appreciated until I had the chance to use those machines, then I got it. :)

We really are spoiled as Mac users. We do get the absolutely coolest designs out there. The average PC user is still trying to find something that resembles the original iMacs and we've been privy to those, the eMac, two flat screen versions of the iMac and that's not even talking about the PowerMac, 'books, 'pod, etc. Jonathan Ive has been very busy. In fact, I actually wrote up an open "letter" of sorts last night, if anyone wants to read it. Its kind of commentary, but I think it holds true for all of us out there...

http://homepage.mac.com/mdhaliwal/Personal2.html

Hope you all enjoy it! I think a lot of the ideas I touched on in that "letter" explain why the deflation rate of Apple machines are the way they are and why people buy them and never let go.

On a side note, I hope I haven't offended anyone with possibly inadvertently selling an item through this conversation. It seemed like the right area to get advice on the subject, since we are talking about iMac values and such.

Hmm... That open letter does flat-out lie, of course. ;-) On the topic of G4 iMac deflation: Sadly, there are no more 1.25 GHz iMac G4s in the normal sales channels... Or people could get those quite cheap... I don't think your iMac sale did offend anyone here. It 'happened'. As long as the rest takes the form of PM instead of filling this thread... ;)

That open letter has horrible grammer. I forgot that a simple copy and paste from MS Word 2004 usually leaves all " ' " in a font that won't display in web browsers, etc. I assure everyone, I'm not completely illiterate!

I don't know Fryke, Apple and quite cheap don't usually flow off the tongue very easily. I fully believe they give you the best product, but even refurbished units don't even take more than a couple hundred dollar hit, even for those that aren't produced any longer.

Well, for what it's worth, I talked another 50$ off the price and let the guy keep his printer. My mother-in-law gets it delivered to her via ups this week (preconfigured buy myself of course). It was seriously in almost new condition. The keyboard even still had the protective strip- of plastic on it.

I just force converted a pc user.

She was using a 700Mhz AMD with 128mb ram and 16 mb hard disk running freaking windows 98. Personally I think it was money well spent bringing her into the new millenium. And how could she possibly hate it?

As for the deflation factor, I do think that macs tend to hold their value longer. For instance, altho quite beat up and worn, I have a 5 year old Powerbook running Panther, still easily worth a couple hundred. More if it were not so battered. I only hope this 800Mhz G4 keeps her happy and surfing the net for another 3 years.

Macs hold their value like crazy, especially on eBay. I sold off a Powerbook 12" 867 on eBay in April for £950. I had bought it about a year earlier for £1022. After a year, it only depreciated by £72. I'll never buy anything from ebay, but it sure is good for selling stuff, especially macs.

Back