iMac G4 won't fully boot

aew9

Registered
My two year old iMac won't fully boot. I recently shut it down (for the first time in months) and unplugged to move furniture. When I tried to start it up again, the display turns on, apple icon is displayed with the little spinning thingy spinning. The chime sounds and about 10 seconds later the computer turns off. It makes noise during this as if its starting up (I don't really know what the hard drive sounds like when it starts up).

Please help! I just replaced my logic board a year ago and am desperate to avoid another expensive repair.
Thanks!!

I am running Tiger (fully updated). Computer worked fine before (except for that pesky logic board problem about a year ago). Only other device conneced is printer.
Thanks.

Have you tried running the Hardware Test to see if something's wrong? The fact that you mentioned an issue with the logic board concerns me.

I tried holding down c with the start up disk but it doesn't boot farth enough to do anything...

I think the logic board is still under warranty (one year??) but if not my biggest concern is the hard drive because although I back up regularly there are things that are recent enough to have not been backed up.

Other thoughts? I've read about the cuda switch but don't know how useful that will be in my situation.

Back