iMac G5 Restart issue

udlose2

Registered
I just purchased a iMac G5 20" (and I have already installed Tiger) on Friday and 3 times now have had an issue with simply trying the "Restart" option in the dropdown. Whenever I select "Restart" it clears the desktop of the Dock, Menu Bar, icons and leaves just the wallpaper up but then it just stops at that point and does nothing else, and will just remain like that indefinitely until I force a power off. Any ideas? Thanks.

Did you do an upgrade or was Tiger already on it? If upgrade, try to wipe the HD and do a clean install, otherwise try to restore the system.

Also, you can try to fix permissions with the Disk Utility.

Just did an upgrade. None of the systems they had at the Apple Store had Tiger already installed, they had put an installation pack with the DVD in the box and suggested to just do the upgrade.
Sorry, but I am a newbie with Apples, just converted, with the permissions are you saying there may be something permission related that would allow a restart ?
Thanks.

Sometimes there might be an error on the harddrive or something like that. These errors you can mostly fix with the Disk Utility.

/Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

Select your HD and click "Repair permissions"

If that doesn't help, I recommend wiping the harddrive (but save your data first), and do a clean install. I was never a fan of upgrades of major versions. I did a clean install, and so far I have no problems.

Back