iMac G5 Sleep Light Update

JetwingX

iWork for Apple <3
i didn't find this anywhere but:
Software Update said:
The iMac G5 Sleep Light Update adjusts the brightness of your iMac G5 sleep indicator light so it's not as bright during the evening. The daytime brightness remains the same.

This update is installed in Applications > Utilities and should automatically launch. Click Update and follow the onscreen instructions to apply the update.

Note: Once the update has started, do not cancel or interrupt it. The updater takes over one minute to complete. During the update, your computer fans will run at full speed, but will return to normal once the update completes.

there is also an iPhoto 5.0.4 update which was slightly mentioned in another thread

I was quite pleased to see this update. My iMac is in the spare-room/study, and whenever parents come to visit (they live far enough away that they need to sleep over) I often forget to shutdown my Mac, only to find the next morning that they've stacked books in front of it to block that bright pulsing light.

Since installing the patch, it seems to reduce the brightness of the sleep light A LOT between about 7 in the evening and 7 in the morning.

In all honesty, I still find it too bright during the day. Anybody know how to hack it so it's non-reliant on the clock?

In contrast, I love the subtlety of the light on my iBook, and my wife's G4 iMac sleep lite is the best yet; just a tiny throbbing pin hole.

Why oh why is the G5 iMac sleep lite . . . so . . . so . . . BIG??

because the bezel is so.......so......BIG. What i want to do one day (after the warranty expires) is to put a colored gel (a.k.a. colored piece of plastic) in front of the light so i can change it to a different color (probably Blue)

How much of the battery does the sleep light use up on a PowerBook? If it's a lot, this brightness patch might be quite useful for PB users.

The patch is only for the iMac G5. The reason being that the sleep light on the iMac G5 is phenomenally bright.

symphonix said:
The patch is only for the iMac G5. The reason being that the sleep light on the iMac G5 is phenomenally bright.

Sorry, what I actually meant was the creation of a similar patch for PB users, not this particular one.

Back