iMac G5 Waking from Sleep

I put my iMac G5 to sleep every night. I leave my ceiling fan turned on, but everything else in the room turned off. When my alarm goes off in the morning, the first thing I do is get up and turn the ceiling fan off at the wall switch so I can turn on the ceiling fluorescent light (I have to turn the fan off because the blades are right under the light; very annoying.)

I have noticed that every time I flip the wall switch for the ceiling fan Off, my iMac G5 on the other side of the room wakes up. Same thing happens when I turn the fluorescent light off.

From what I've been able to Google, other people have this problem and very few have been able to solve it using a UPS and power filter.

With my knowledge of electricity, I assume what's happening here is that when the fan is turned off, it causes a disruption in current to the motor in the fan, which causes the voltage to very quickly spike, which in turn wakes the iMac from Sleep.

Anyone have any insight on this? It's not a problem, but more of something I've been wondering about.

Back