iMac hangs on white bootup screen.

jasfa131

The Lone Deranger
Whenever I have to reboot my iMac, it always hangs on a blank white screen forever. This forces me to turn it off and unplug it for about 30seconds, and after I boot it up again, it works fine again.
Why does this happen, how do I fix it?

Thanks

You might have a startup program that is running and for some reason doesn't honor the system command to shut down so the reboot can happen. If you stop all your startup programs, then you probably have a kernel extension that won't shut down...and those are such a pain to find. I've got the same problem as you and have been trying to isolate the problem for weeks. I'll wait for Leopars to come out and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, then I'll do an archive install hoping that will work.

I had "GstLauncherDaemon" and "System Events". I got rid of these, I'll be testing to see if they worked tomorrow. If they don't work, how would I fix the problem the other way?

Thanks

I'm still having the same problem with OS X 10.4.10. I'm hoping Leopard will solve this problem. I'm pretty sure it is software related since the problem is on two MacBook Pro Intel machines that I have with pretty much the same software.

I know it isn't startup items at either the system or user level nor is it permissions nor is it solved by a combo update. My guess is that I have some kernel extension that I can't find.

To get around the problem temprorarily, when you need to restart or shutdown, go into terminal as the root user and use the UNIX command Shutdown. This works for me:

shutdown -r xxxx where you set xxxx to the time you wish the restart to occur. OS if it is now 7:39 am and you wish to restart your machine right away, enter:

shutdown -r 0740

And your machine should restart without having to hold the power off button down to force a machine power down followed by a power up.

Back