iMac having some hard times :(

Dime5150

Registered
Permissions: Yes.
Disk Repair: Yes.

Peripherals: Maxtor 200GB ext usb hd. Epson scanner. Multi-Card reader via usb. iPod mini also connected. Also have tried with all peripherals off and disconnected.

Haven't been able to find anything in search.

Hi all.

Wondering if I can get some input with what's been going on with my iMac.
Been having a sort of erratic problem here.

For most of the time the hard drive is constantly seeking. The green bar on the disk activity portion of activity monitor is consistently high and the hard drive noise is almost deafening!

I think i've identified the process as perl(364) that pops up. When its not up the hard drive doesn't go into over drive. Process group wheel(0).

System Version: 10.9.4
1.25 Ghz iMac PowerPC G4
1 GB DDR SDRAM

Also I'm not sure if it is related, but I got the new mighty mouse and when I use it the thing freezes up with the beach ball and am forced to quit the application and restart the computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :cool:

I tried to do an 'Archine & Install' but consistently hangs every time on 98% when initializing disk and says it cannot install due to an error.

So I take it then it's time to reformat? Should I wait for the new version of X or just buy the new one that's out now?

just use the disc you have now to reformat and reinstall. If that doesn't work then your drive may be going bad. If you are really in a pinch you could try disk warrior, otherwise reformat it.

Back