Imac Jaguar Install - Panic at second disc - HELP!

blocktek

Registered
I' m at my wits end. A friend bought a used Summer 2001 Imac. it came with 10.2.3 and 9.2.2. I added 512mb of RAM for a total of 640. During a routine ethernet file transfer from his old machine, the hard drive crashed so hard I could not revive it (using Disk Utility, Disk First Aid, Techtool Pro, OR Drive 10). I erased the disk using Disk Utility and reinstalled 10.2 from my store-bought Jaguar disks (that have installed on several machines now successfully). The installer seemed to progress normally to the point when it usually restarts and asks for the second disk (for extra printer files). At that point, I got the "You need to restart..." panic screen. No matter what I do, I cannot get past this point. I've tried initializing with Disk First Aid. I've tried installing 9.2.2 (successful). I've removed the new RAM, run Apple Hardware Test (everything passes), checked to make sure the most recent firmware updates had been run (they had). I cannot boot into "Safe boot" mode. I cannot get to the prompt in Single User mode. I've tried both easy and full installs of OSX. I've zapped the PRAM and the NVRAM.

PLEASE HELP!

This might be one time when a tech-support call to Apple might be worth it :)

Dumb question: you did format the hard disk as HFS+ ?

If you have successfully started up in OS9, then back up anything you need. Completely wipe the hard drive of everything you can using Apples Utilities. Reformatting the hard disk as HFS+
Install OS9.2.2.
Do Norton Disk Doctor on the drive and any other checks using Apples Utilities. Just to make sure that all went okay.
Now install OSX.
Do all this without the extra RAM, add that once this is done successfully. :cool:
If you still have problems contact Apple :(

Just for the record...I solved the problem. I'm not sure exactly how, but I did two things that might have helped.
It occurred to me that having AppleTalk on can mess with installations. Since the original crash occurred while I was filesharing, I had a hunch that perhaps AppleTalk was "stuck" on. I erased the disk again, reinstalled 9.2.2, and sure enough, AppleTalk was on. I turned it off and installed Jaguar. This time, I unchecked the option to install the additional printer packages. Lo and behold, I got through the install, restarted, and it prompted me for the second disk. All else went without a hitch. I was able to install the printer packages after the fact from the second disk.
Thanks for your suggestions. I suspect it was the AppleTalk hunch. Anyone concur?

Back