iMac monitor problems after Jag install failure

iconcow

Friendly local bovine
I tried to install Jaguar recently and it flopped (see thread "10.2 won't install on iMac 266"). Now whenever I restart or wake from sleep, my monitor goes into its factory configuration, which means that the screen goes tiny and skewed way over to the right. I can adjust all the geometry again in System Prefs, but whenever I restart or sleep again, the same thing happens. This has only happened after the Jag install failing.

Is there a preference file or something I can delete to fix this? It's driving me nutty!

Try resetting the PRAM, which is where these settings are stored. Apple-Option-P-R at startup, I believe...

Oh yeah... forgot to mention that.

I tried that before, and it works fine up until I log in again. When it starts up, it goes to 800x600 resolution and fills the screen just right. After I enter my password it goes back to 1024x768 in its wonky default state.

I experimented a bit and found that the monitor works fine and is the right size and shape etc when in 800x600 mode. Whenever I go back to 1024x768 it goes into it's crappy default config again.

Very weird.

Back