imac - ok to buy just now?

talkinghead42

Registered
Hello,

After reading all the Intel stuff I decided I might as well get a new desktop now as I can't hold out that long with my current spec. Just wanting to ask if everyone thinks I should buy an iMac now or wait a month or so? I seem to remember them being updated fairly recently? When do Apple usually release new hardware?

Thanks,
Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I believe that by the time the Intel based mac becomes available on the shelves you would realise that it wasn't worth waiting for it. Don't expect and intel based iMac before 2006/7.

I own the first iMac G5 generation (see my signature) because I couldn't wait for it any longer. (used to own an iMac G3 DVSE) and would definitely go for the new generation (search the forum about opinions). As of today it's IMO the best apple can offer until they come up with a mini G5 or Intel based for that matter home computer.

N.B. Go fot it you will not be disappointed

Cheers for that! It seems to me that Apple just randomly release hardware with slightly better spec all the time, I just didn't want to buy something just now and then next week they bring out something even just slightly better.

Thanks again for your help!

talkinghead42 said:
It seems to me that Apple just randomly release hardware with slightly better spec all the time, I just didn't want to buy something just now and then next week they bring out something even just slightly better.

this has been the problem with computers forever, it's not just apple. apple do actually have a better track record for their computers lasting longer before feeling slow and behind.

without this problem though, there would be no progress, and progress is a good thing

Yep, I know what you mean. When was this gen of iMacs released? I seem to remember it being only a few months ago but I might have just made that up.

The latest iMacs were released in May... they average about 7 months between refreshes..

I've been waiting for home renovation to be completed before i buy my next mac. I was going for either the 2 or 2.3 powermac, but with the Intel announcement I'm starting to think more along the lines of the iMac. Reasoning being is that I'm thinking apple will want to do a an impressive re-design for the Intel box and I'll probably want to jump on it sooner than later. I see powermacs as more of a long-term investment and a monetary loss in turning them around too quickly. The iMac is a less risky proposition due to the $$ savings.

My guess is Apple will do one more refresh of the iMac line before Intel in mid-late 2006. My vote would be for an iMac DV with a 256mb vid card or possibly a dual-core ppc so you can do some HD video stuff. I'm leaning towards the iMac now, but am not thrilled about not being able to view full framerates on HD trailers or watching the beach ball in FCX editing software... my bread and butter photoshop should be fine though.

The next PPC Powermac refresh may simply be a few tweaks with some price drops to show good faith...
An Intel Powermac may be somthing with a much smaller footprint... anyone for a new Cube? (aw c'mon I can dream can't I?... lower wattage and all)

talkinghead42 said:
Hello,

After reading all the Intel stuff I decided I might as well get a new desktop now as I can't hold out that long with my current spec. Just wanting to ask if everyone thinks I should buy an iMac now or wait a month or so? I seem to remember them being updated fairly recently? When do Apple usually release new hardware?

I was in the same boat as you, i want to get rid of my Pee-Cee and get a Mac Desktop and the iMac was the best choice. But stuff has happened and it looks like i'm going to get my B.A. in State. :mad: so it looks like i'm staying with the 'rents for a few more years...and not getting a new iMac... :eek: , but i might be getting a new car and maybe the new Rebel XT next year... :D

Thanks for all your help everyone. I am now awaiting delivery of my new 17'' iMac 1GB RAM, 2GHz G5 POWERPC and 250GB Hard drive. Can't wait!

Back