iMac or iBook

hahaha i was joking! I can't decide between iMac or iBook.
iBook is portable, but i dont travel THAT much.
iMac has awesome adjustable LCD screen, which is less tiring on the eyes, because moniters flicker, but flatscreens dont.
Also, iMacs are supposed to be amazing for games, and i play lots of games.
iBook is nearly weightless (not litterally), and shock proof (if i dropped a book on it, it wouldn't brake!).
iMac looks "sexy".
iBook is a compact laptop.
They both come with moniters, but the imac's is better.
iMac is just a moniter with a hidden computer inside of it (basically! the "footprint" of it is like something that keeps it from falling over, +that weight is a computer!).
Which one should i get?!?!??!?!/

Sounds like you'll be happier with the iMac...

What do you have now? What specs?

Personally I'd go with a laptop (PB though) but I don't do as much gaming now as I used to, and I can't sit behind a desk for long since my leg surgery.

I prefer laptops. It's great to have the mobility. With AirPort, you can surf outside, in bed, at Wi-Fi-enabled restaurants and cafes. You can take it with you and you can always hook up the stuff on it to make it a desktop, but you can't make a desktop into a laptop.

if I were you, i would either get a 14" iBook or a 12" PBook (15" if they upgrade it to the 12"/17" grade).

Laptops are good because you can be anywhere with them and if you want to lay down and do something you can (and it doubles a a small lamp!).

in a way i kind of regret getting my slot loading iMac because i can't really add much to it, but you're not expected to upgrade laptops so anyways thats my view

Here's what you could do (if you're a student or just wanna to some typing on the road)

Buy an iMac, and get an old iBook or even an old laptop PC for the road.

If you don't need the mobility much, then get the iMac and get a Zire 71 with an attachable keyboard. My Palm and keyboard always impress people when I pull them out. Besides, the iMac's faster than the iBook.

Or you could save up for a while longer and get a G5... Start saving now, and you may have enough by the time they come out. :)

my current imac is 600 mhz, 256 megs of RAM. Instead of me upgrading to Panther, i will buy a new computer! Then i dont have to wait for 30-45 minutes (maybe shorter because its a fast computer).
And arden, i dunno if i need a palm... aha! that reminds me, how about an ipod! on the road i only use my dad's laptop for music!
I'll get an imac, and an ipod.
That way i'll be able to play games perfectly on my imac, and listen to my favourite tunes in the car.
It is settled, the next computer i am getting is an imac!
Canada-Man, i have an old powerbook that i can use lol i forgot about it! The screen broke when i closed the laptop too hard once..... hehe, i can't a little part of the screen, but that doesn't affect the wonderful sound that will come out of it!
You're from Canada eh? hehe i am too :)

ooo and Jet, what you just said reminds me....... I will get a wireless keyboard and mouse, then i will hook up my imac to the tv (i have the wires :)), and i can lie in bed and use the computer off my big tv (both the comp and tv are in my room).

o ya, powerbook is too much money.... ibook is about the same as imac, but it is slower, and imac is good for games (says apple!). It has geforce 4.

Originally posted by Androo
it says it right here:
http://www.apple.com/games/hardware/
it mentions the new imac, and says it is best for games..... why would they say that? They could've said the new G5, since its more money? That's cuz apple wont lie!

Fact: The G5 is better for games

Fact: Apple says the G5 is better for games

Fact: Apple didn't lie

Fact: Besides all this, the iMac is pretty good, except for the fact you can't upgrade the thing once the GeForce2 becomes passé (when was that, a couple months ago?)

Get a laptop. You don't lose that much in performance and you gain so much more in mobility.
Better yet, get a laptop and then give it me, eh. heh :D

May your decision neither fall upon the iMac nor rest with the iBook. I don't like both of them. I must count the "new iMac" (technically a year behind) as my property and I teach a class with ten iBooks in my freetime. I tell you from my experience, I do recommend neither one of both.

If you need a desktop computer, choose a PowerMac. Mobility is assured by the fact that you can unplug it and throw it into your car without breaking off the clumsy display along the way.

If you need a notebook, get a Powerbook, preferably the 15 or 17 inch machines. I don't trust the 12" book ;)

Do not misunderstand my words, I love my little iMac for its appearence and reliability, he is quiet and fair to work with, yet the PowerMacs/Books are technically more convincing.

[ Fyi, I am refering to the 15" 700 Mhz iMac ]

It depends what kind of work you are doing. I just do your basic spreadsheet/word processing/data analysis stuff, and I like to bring my computer to the lab, so I got the 12" iBook with CDROM (I have a firewire burner) -- It's more than adequate for these tasks. If you're a power user, then you might want the iMac. Though I LOVE my iBook.

MP

Dear Androo,
If I'm not mistaken, for students and teachers, a 12" PowerBook costs ONLY $1399... Now, aren't you a student? ;)

Even, without student discounts I would go for the PowerBook!

Still, to answer your question between the iBook and the iMac, I would go with the iMac :D

ATTENTION: Have you actually searched for student-related Apple discounts? You may end up buying both a new Mac AND the new iPod! Search! Search! Search! ASAP :D ;)

Boy, this is tough, but my bet is you would have less regrets with a iBook - it is fun to be able to take the thing anywhere. Then again, if you are doing any video editing, web development... things that work better with more screen space, well... My two macs are desktops and I do wish I have a iBook, but I also have a laptop PC that I use for work.

I know, get both! Sorry, I am absolutely no help here.

Back