iMac problem HELP!!!

claudiapatx

Registered
I purchased a used imac M5521 from a Goodwill. It was donated from the local school. It turns on and all Sez Mac OS 9.2...And then it goes to time needs to be reset message. From there it goes to searching for sever message....from there to a message requesting an admin password, which of course I do not, can not access! Is there anyway to "take back and rescue" this wonderful little machine? I do not have any disks or anything. Am trying to find a os X right now . But I really dont completely understand how to fix it even if I can and do find them. H E L P ! ! !

You'll need to install the operating system from an install CD. You could probably pick up Mac OS X 10.4 quite cheaply now, and that will work fine on any iMac. 10.5 no longer supports the G3 processor, though, so its worth knowing before you set out which model Mac you have. I suggest checking it against www.apple-history.com.

I also posted a similar message. What is the deal with the M5521 rejecting the CD? It's OS X 9.2 from another computer (G5).

I also posted a similar message. What is the deal with the M5521 rejecting the CD? It's OS X 9.2 from another computer (G5).

The OS X discs that come with specific Macs only work with those specific Macs. In other words, you can't use the disc from an iBook to use on anything other than an iBook of the same model type. It's also against the EULA as those OEM discs are only meant to be run on the Macs they came with and no other.

The only discs that can install on any Mac are the retail versions.

That's a valid reason, but the OS 9 install would not be bootable, and is only meant to install Classic on a G5, which can't boot to OS 9. The disk is a DVD, and many iMacs from that era are CD-ROMs. The DVD would simply eject, unread. Better choice than OS 9, would be OS X. Your Slot-loading iMac can go up to OS X 10.4.11, although some here recommend not going past 10.3.9. You can upgrade the memory up to 2x512MB (1 GB total)
The internal battery on an iMac that old may also need replacing.

Back