iMac remote control, iTunes, sound

svenole

Registered
Hi.

I have an iMac at home. I have two airport express devices with hifi systems connected. I use iTunes to play music, podcasts,radio, .. on the different hifi systems dependent on where I am in the appartment.

When using the remote control on the iMac it seems to me that it isn't possible to select the wireless devices for sound output.

I found this from Apple Remote Wiki:

Pair With Device

A device can be configured to respond only to a certain remote. This can be achieved by holding the Apple Remote close enough to the device with which it is to be paired, and then pressing and holding the "Menu" and "Next" buttons for five seconds. Pairing can be removed by deactivating it under the Mac OS X "Security" System Preference pane. Only users with administrative privileges are allowed to pair their remote; in a non-administrator account, pressing the buttons will have no effect and nothing will be displayed.[5] Pairing can be very useful because some users who have both an iMac and Apple TV nearby experience issues with remotes working with both devices.

What Hi-Fi systems do you run? We need to determine whether or not the AR can be paired with them ...

I gather these Hi-Fi systems have Infra Red (hence your post) and I interpret that you have a remote for them already (possibly )but wish to use the AR instead?

I suspect that what Svenole actually wants to know is if it is possible to switch the sound output device (Computer, Lounge Room, Bedroom) using the Apple Remote.

I don't know how this could be done with the Apple Remote, as I don't have one; perhaps someone here knows if the Apple Remote can be scripted or customised at all?

Back