iMac, screen blurring/locking up

dainger

Registered
Hello, about a year ago, Jan. 05 i bought a new iMac, about a week ago is when my problem first appeared. I was working on the Machine when the screen became blurry, the blur was odd though, sort of like a horizontal motion blur. it lasted for about 5 seconds then the computer returned to normal. It has been happening more and more often since then, and now every now and then the screen will become completely blurred out to the point where nothing is reconizable and it is also devided similar to an excel worksheet, at this point I must turn off the computer and turn it back on. Alright, my warrenty expired a month ago so I'm hoping this is something that can be repaired with an update or running a disk repair or something. Although I'm having trouble finding my install discs.

Also I noticed that when this happens all processes on the computer are suspended, download bars/install bars will not gain ground while the computer is in this blurred state which lasts anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Running - 10.3.9
I've ran permissions checks and repaired them, but until I find my disc I cannot repair my HD
I have a Brother Printer hooked up, I have tried disconnecting it but it makes no difference.

Hi

I'm having the same problem with a 17" G5 imac in my office. It now happens when I boot the thing up too!

I have tried zapping the PRAM and it seemed to boot ok, I have also run TechTool Pro over it to check for any software/hardware faults but not really come back with much.

The only thing I can think of is that it could be a hardware fault with the board, well the inverter board which connects the display to the logic board. This could be and Apple job! Well that's if you haven't got it fixed already!

Hope this helps a little and will keep you posted if I come across anything else.

If you have had it fixed then please report back on what the problem/resolution was

Cheers

I figured it out, the first generation of Imac G5s have a possibility of having a Glitch that causes this, Apple extended the warrenty to 2 years, so just give apple a call and they'll take care of you free of cost.

Back