iMac SE DVD Drive not working

kilowatt

mach-o mach-o man
Greetings,

I recently purchased an old iMac DVD SE. (400MHz G3, slot-loading Matshita 8184 DVD drive.)

When I first powered on the computer, it had many problems. It wouldn't boot, the screen was all out of alignment, etc. Now I've fixed most of the problems, and I'm on the last one.

When I put a disk (DVD, cd-r, commercial cdrom, etc) into the slot-loading optical drive, it is 'pulled' inside, as it should be. However, about thirty seconds later, the drive spits the disk back out. Both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X are not even aware that a disk was inserted (as far as I can tell). Furthermore, booting from a boot cdrom doesn't work either. Open Firmware reports "cannot boot device ata1:\" or similar.

Thinking my firmware was probably bad (as was the rest of the machine...), I downloaded the latest firmware update. However, the firmware update says my firmware is already up-to-date. And thus refuses to install.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!

I'd also like to note that the serial number in the Apple System Profiler (9 and X) reads "Not available".

If all else fails, there's always one of these.

Is the drive recognized in the system profiler? Are all the cables secure? You might also want to try spraying some compressed air in the drive, in case dust is somehow obstructing the "reader" thing. Make sure you use the non-static, made-for-computers compressed air, though.

You should also check the jumper settings, that can mess things up.

Hope that helps.

The slot loading DVD drives are notorious for dying. I've replace three for clients within the last two years (two were replace with new DVD drives, one with a CDRW drive). I just replaced one two weeks ago with those same issues.

Sadly the DVD drives were not of the same quality level as the CD drive in the early slot loading iMacs.

Well, I had figured as much. And given the value of the machine, I don't think I'll be plunking down that kind of cash for a new drive. Fortunately, I only bought the machine the other day for $20, and I guess I'll just use it as an internet terminal or something.

Or, if anyone wants to part with their dvd drive, I'll entertain offers :)

Thanks all!

Also, you could get an external drive, which you could use with other computers as well, in case the iMac bites the dust. It's still an investment, though.
I managed to sell an iMac DV SE for about $125, after fixing it up with a new 80 GB hard drive.. so if you have no other use for it, there's always eBay.

Back