iMac slot-loading CD no longer ejects after 10.0.4

James Bond

Registered
Since installing 10.0.4 my IMac slot loading CD no longer ejects.

First time you try, it says "Operation cannot be completed because device is in use". Second time you try you get continuous beach ball and complete hang up of OS X - no possibility to do force quit.

Re booting in OS 9.1 shows that there is no hardware problem since the eject works fine still in OS 9.1

Anyone else seen this or know how to get the CD working agin in OS X?

I have gotten that error when I try to eject a disk when dragging it to the trash. It only happens sometimes, though, and it hasn't occurred for a while now. I got it to go away by leaving the disk in, and putting the computer to sleep.

I once had the computer insisting that the disk was in use, when it really wasn't. Logging out and back in again fixed it. You might want to try that.

Originally posted by davidbrit2
I once had the computer insisting that the disk was in use, when it really wasn't. Logging out and back in again fixed it. You might want to try that.

Didn't you, by any chance, started a Classic application on that disk? In that case, Classic may have still been using the disk (its working directory was on the disk, which counts as use of a directory, ergo volume).

Back