iMac slower and slower

istyan

Registered
Hi i got some problems with my iMac G4. Here is what happened:
- one morning i pushed the power button and surprise it took almost 10 minutes for the iMac to start up. (the previous night everything was normal (start up in 1 minutes ....)
- everything was slow (opening a finder window, opening an application, closing).
- i checked the performance tool. CPU free at 80%, Ram 750Mb free, no performance devoring process or app.
- i backed up everything and start a fresh install of MacosX (panther). the iMac then was a bit faster but still very slow (start up in 5-6 minutes)
- a friend told me to perform a zero format and to reinstall. I did it and it was quite a success. But then 2 days ago it started again.

The only app I used out of usual is Freehand. Did anybody already had such a problem?

Should i try to reinstall everything or is there some hard disk problems (during installation I performed a "verify disk" and "repair disk" and no problem were found)

Any sugggestions would me most appreciated.

Thanks.

I have had similar problems with WinTel machines, and it usually turns out to be a dying hard drive (one time it was the hdd controller that was going up).
I might suggest trying to isolate the hdd as the issues. If you have access to one, I would try replacing the internal hard drive and see if it solves your problem. Also, test your hdd in another machine if you can.

Hi

I reinstall OSX (with zero format) and since everything back to normal. Sartup in 45 seconds all apps running fast.

I don't know how freehand works, but is it possible it generated problem with the cache on HD ??? i didn't install freehand and i don't think i will..

Back