imac stalling at grey screen with apple and spinning gear

shemina

Registered
After years of relying on the mac gurus of this forum, once again, I am turning to you for your suggestions and thoughts.

Here's where I'm at:

1. I have an imac g4, 15" display, 40GB HD, lots of added ram (added long time ago so, can't remember how much) and I think the speed is 700mhz.

2. last week started up the machine, greeted by the chime a grey screen, with apple logo and a spinning gear. That's as far as it gets.....it will stay there forever. I really can't remember the last thing done before shutting down the last time.

3. here is what i've tried:
- zapping the pram (chimes but no change)
- reseting the firmware
-mac-boot from firmware
- safe boot (holding shift key down until the apple and gear come up) - yields only the grey screen and spinning gear
- tried booting from the instal disk to run the utitlities but holding the c down does not force a start from the disk (i can hear the disk spinning but still only grey screen with apple and gear spinning) - had to use command E to eject the disk tray
-tried forcing the boot using the option key, got a blue screen with a picture of both the hard drive and the install cd but clicking on either one followed by the arrow key yields the same grey screen with apple and spinning gear
-booted from the hardware test CD and ran the extended test...everything passes.

Okay, so now what do I do? I really miss my mac and desperatly want it back :(

Back