iMac to Cable Modem

TullFan

Registered
Hi folks -

I've been reading here for a couple of weeks - I've been a PC guy almost my entire life ;-) I walked into an Apple Store in Southern California on Christmas Eve and had an awakening...

Anyway, I have borrowed an iMac to play with and decide for sure that I want to make the switch... This is a 400 Mhz with 128MB of RAM and I have OS X up and running and it works great...

My problem is that I cannot get the iMac to work with my Toshiba Cable Modem... When I unplug the RJ-45 from the PC and plug it into the iMac there is NO link light on the modem?? I've tried straight cables and crossover cables, I've tried to connect the iMac to the PC and cannot get a link light to come on anywhere... Needless to say I cannot communicate with the Internet...

Any thoughts as to what I am doing wrong??

Thanks...

Mark

Have you turned off the modem before connecting it to the other computer. I also have a Toshiba Cable Modem (DOCIS) and have not had any problems connecting it to multiple devices.

Your modem is probably set up by your ISP to only talk to one ethernet interface, and attaching it to a different interface might cause the link light not to come on.

(I've never tried this to watch the light, so I'm just guessing)

and you have set your internet and network system prefs up, right? if not you need to or else the mac will not even be looking for the modem. they won't talk. you will probably need to create a new location in network first thing. the extent to which you need to configure new internet prefs will vary depending upon what you want to try out.

Thanks for the help thus far...

Yes, I did find the Network settings and had already unchecked the 'Internal Modem' option to force the Ethernet...

It really looks to me like a hardware issue of some kind... Since I do not get the green 'PC' light on the Toshiba cable modem, it would appear that either the Ethernet in the iMac is bad, or my cable is wrong -

It would be my assumption that the RJ-45 on the iMac would be configured the same as the RJ-45 on my Intel box and that the same cable should work... I have also tried a 'crossover' cable with no luck either...

Mark

I've look at the pins on the RJ-45 and they are all straight...

I also opened up the little memory door on the bottom and could see over to the back side of the RJ-45 and it is indeed soldered to the system board...

I am at a total loss to figure out what is going on... I think I'll take the iMac back over to the office and plug it onto the network and see if it works there...

Mark

Back