imac users please read this ...

I've got 512 in this thing and I'm comfortable with X. I actually use Final Cut Pro on it and it runs great. I play Myth in Classic and it's glass smooth. I still hate web browsing in X and window resizing, but it's not much worse than my G4 450, so the iMac holds its own.

I would get more RAM and jump on board the X bandwagon. For the casual user, X on an iMac is a really nice visual and interface experience.

I have a suspicion that most satisfied OmniWeb users must have monster fast computers. I have a 300 MHz BW G3, so basically the same computer as your iMac but with a bit more room in the case, and Omni is sloooooow (like I always overshoot when I go back a page, because I click the back button, nothing happens for a while, I click it again, and then I go back two pages type slow). IE is bearable once it is running, although it takes a long time to start...

With 192 MB RAM (I now have a bit more) at 300 MHz, 10.1 was fine, all apps but Omni were perfectly OK, and Classic didn't bog things down too much.

Originally posted by genghiscohen
I also have a 350Mhz slot-loading iMac, but I've souped it up with 768MB of RAM and a 40GB Maxtor hard drive. Your dad can do the same (or you can do it for him) for about $150.
I find 10.1.1 on my machine quite acceptable in terms of performance. :D
I want to upgrade my wife's iMac 350 to X. It only has 192 MB of ram. I would upgrade the hard drive to a 7200 rpm Maxtor. How would you compare 9.x to X in terms of snappiness and speed???

I've been running MacOS X on my 256M, 266Mhz iMac since it was first available. I like it.

10.1 is MUCH better, but it doesn't play nice with my printer. :-(

Mike

Zonetuke,
I recommend adding RAM to your wife's iMac. You can get a 512 MB stick for around $50, and that will greatly improve the performance of OS X.
With my setup, X is still a bit slower than 9 as far as Finder response.

Originally posted by genghiscohen
Zonetuke,
I recommend adding RAM to your wife's iMac. You can get a 512 MB stick for around $50, and that will greatly improve the performance of OS X.
With my setup, X is still a bit slower than 9 as far as Finder response.
genghiscohen,

Thanks for responding. Yeah, I would throw a 40 GB Maxtor and 512 stick in there before upgrading.

All she uses is Outlook (Entourage when I receive OFfice X in the next few days), Palm Desktop, and web surfin. If those basic daily tasks are slower in X then I'd rather not upgrade her. What's your take?

Palm syncing in OS X is in beta still, and there would be minor speed hits in the web-surfing and emailing. You're probably better off waiting another 6 months to a year before switching her over to OS X full time.

Memory & hard disk speed together really seem to improve the performance. I reinstalled both my iBook & iMac about a week ago doing exactly the same steps on each. The iMac 400/512Mb with a 20Gb ATA100 7200rpm drive is more responsive to use than my iBook 500/384Mb with a 20GB ATA100 4200 rpm drive. The iBook is quicker at compiling though.

Back