iMac volume & eject keys stopped working

TechDir

Registered
The volume and eject keys on my iMac keyboard are not responding. I had just moved my computer to university and added a new printer - HP psc 2179 - through usb port. No idea if the printer had anything to do with the failure of the keys.

The dvd/cd drive is accessible using the icon in iTunes to open and close but the keyboard keys above the numeric keypad have stopped working.

Anybody know what I need to do to fix this problem?

Thanks,

TechDir

Connect the keyboard to port 1 and the printer to port 2 of the usb ports. If that is the way you have it, switch them around.

If you are still having problems, you have to tell us what OS you are running. We will then be able to give you step by step instructions. :)

Welcome to MacOSX !!!!

I tried switching the ports but it had no effect.

OSX 10.2.1
iMac 15" 800 MHz PowerPC G4
60 GB Ultra ATA

I can't tell you how to get those eject and volume key functions back, but, you can add icons to your menu bar that will do the job when you click on them.

In the Finder, under your HD, go to System>Library>CoreServices>Menu Extras. In that window you can choose to add a number of features to your menu bar. I've added eject and volume to mine in the event that the keys fail.

Have you tried to restart. Worked for me last night (but then again my iMac is showing its age, 3+ years and counting. I'm looking at the new 1.25 GHz 17". Ooo... Yum!).

Back