iMac VRAM Problems

clgennone

Registered
Hi,

I'm running OSX 10.4.11 on a 2 GHz PPC iMac G5 and get message VRAM failed when I run Tech Tools Deluxe. I also have "video noise" behind all items on my desktop...that is a rectangular/square pattern of black lines over all icons. The lines are not so dark that I can't make out the icon, just unattractive and an annoyance. Any ideas on how to solve the issue without going to a Apple store? [I don't live close to one]. Thanks in advance.

No AppleCare. What do you estimate a new board would cost? Depending on the cost, it may be more efficient to buy a new Mac.

Before we dig deeper to parts, did you try with Apple Hardware Test too? Extended test, looped (ctrl+L to loop) for a few hours or overnight? I would expect that there would be a similar error code; please run AHT if you haven't yet.
And just in case any of the usual voodoo technics would work: Try PRAM and PMU reset too. If you get an error with AHT please post the exact error message.
And try without any extra RAM you might have added - is there any difference?

Which exact model of iMac is it? 17"? 20? Built-in iSight? "ALS"? If in doubt, post the exact configuration (you can check that from Apple's site, or post the serial for checking it). The price of the will depend on the exact model, as will depend the easiness of the repair (with some models, you can repair it easily yourself). Should be sub-$500, but you may always be lucky and find someone with a spare around for that exact model so it may be possible to be luckier.
iMacs are beautiful, it would be a pity to not be able to get that one back to its full beauty affordably.

Thanks for the input. I reset the PRAM but did not do the AHT. I will try that next and advise. The exact model is an iMac G5, 17" PowerPC G5 3.1 w/512MB of memory. Thanks again.

Back