iMac will not go online after thunderstorm? Help!!!

Birdman

Registered
Got a grape iMac (266 mhz, no airport card) that has our DSL line coming into it. It is directly "ethernetted" to the airport. The airport is sending signals fine to my airport card G4. I get the web and e-mail no problems.

BUT, ever since the thunderstorm, the iMac (running OS X.1.5) will not connect to the internet or get mail? Checked my TC/IP settings. I believe everything is normal. Ran Norton's it fixed some stuff, like a "header" problem. Fsck -y has been run. Even zapped the pram for the helluva it(?). I restarted in OS 9 and Explorer would not connect there either. However other problems w/ apps in OS X have not appeared. Everything seems to be doing fine, except the very thing my uses the iMac for -- e-mail and web!!!

Insight much appreciated. Thanks, Birdman

Roger Ed. But I'm answering you through my dsl service now.It's working fine here on my G4 (airport card). It's the iMac, that the airport is hooked directly to, that can not get mail or on the internet???? Thanks.

And I can't locate the snafu????

T i m

ok, i was wondering if maybe you had a dialup as well or what. hope nothing got fried. wish i knew what to suggest. sorry.:(

Last year, we had a thunderstorm in my area
and I lost motherboards, add-in cards, stereo
equip, garage opener, phones and answering
machines.

If you think the network prefs are correct,
you should at least be able to 'ping'
the iMac. On many hubs/routers, there is
an LED to indicate a port is active (and often
another to indicate traffic). If so, you should
have the active one ON and the traffic one
flashing somewhat.

a very good investment to avoid this problem in the future is to buy is a surge strip that will keep electricity overloads like lightning away from your motherboard. I always use them (even for the 56K modem line), and haven't had any problems.
Also, another benefit of using some products like APC's is that if you want to use your computer even in a power loss, there are some always-on battery powered surge supressors.

http://apc.com/products/

At the help desk where I used to work, we would always get at least 1 call the day after a thunderstorm from people who had fried modems, so it is pretty common.

In your case though, since the Airport is otherwise working, it doesn't seem possible that only the ethernet port would have been "zapped," but I suppose static electricity can do strange things.

Try connecting the G4 directly to the Airport with ethernet. If you get a connection, the port on the Airport is OK, and the next suspect is the port on the iMac.

To test this, you can try connecting the G4 and iMac directly via ethernet (to see if you need a crossover cable, look at this article http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42717 ) and see if you can get them talking to each other.

Back