iMAC wont boot

science

Registered
u have a 400mhz indigo imac. last nigth i left online donwloading. this mroning i got up and it was turned off...i then went to trun it on and nothin happened..it just sits there. i unpluged it and pluged it in again and this time when i hit the power button the cd drive spins and the moniter makes that "booong" noise that they do when u trun em on. but then nothin happens, it still just sits there.
it was running fine no more then 6 or 7 hours ago and no one has been near it :(
please help...ive only had it for a week

put in your osx disc and start up the computer while holding down on the "C" key this will start your computer up from the CD drive instead of the hard drive, from there you can re-install your system software and/or just format your hard drive if you dont need any of the data on it.

Or try booting the Apple Hardware Test CD... That way you can run some tests to see if there is anything wrong with the iMac...

-B

Originally posted by science
u have a 400mhz indigo imac. last nigth i left online donwloading. this mroning i got up and it was turned off...i then went to trun it on and nothin happened..it just sits there. i unpluged it and pluged it in again and this time when i hit the power button the cd drive spins and the moniter makes that "booong" noise that they do when u trun em on. but then nothin happens, it still just sits there.
it was running fine no more then 6 or 7 hours ago and no one has been near it :(
please help...ive only had it for a week

What happens when you try to boot?
What may have happened, is that your iMac has been over/underpowered just for a tenth of a second or something, that could really mess things up. That happened to someone I know's iMac, too, but it seemed to work fine again, without doing anything, after a couple of times of shutting down and turning on.
Do you hear the startup sound when it starts? Does the LED lit green and the monitor turn on? If you describe each detail, I might be able to help...

Back