iMach G5 Will Not Boot, Fans Simply Run

menenbach1

Registered
Hello,

My iMac G5 Power PC was working just fine, no problems. (2.0 GHZ, SuperDrive, OS 10.5). Before I went to bed, I placed a DVD into the Superdrive for copy by Toast Titanium. I wake up in the morning, the screen is black and the fans are running as fast and hard as possible. Unable to use anything or shutdown, I unfortunately had to use a hard shutdown via Power button. DVD did not eject.

Tried restarting the computer. I can hear it trying to boot from blank DVD. After done trying to boot from blank DVD, it does a little more and then the fans run fast and hard.

I hear no clicking of the hard drive (so I do not suspect a hard drive failure). I have tried unplugging and restarting to no avail. I have tried holding down power button for long time on both startup and shutdown. I never get the start up tone, but I tried holding down X and the Command Option FO (or whatever I read to do) -- nothing happens.

Any help could be appreciated? If it is shot, but not a hard drive problem, can I save the hard drive and put in an external case? (Almost everything is backed up -- but I have some PowerPC programs that don't work on Intel that I still like to use).

I appreciate your assistance.

Matt

Try holding the mouse button down when you turn it on. This should eject the disk. If not try holding the option button and select the boot disk (this might not work because you don't get a startup chime).

Back