iMacs - update coming? I want to buy!

owen-b

Registered
I have a Powerbook 15" with a 100GB drive and it's no longer enough for me, both in terms of storage space and grunt power (I have a lot of photos and CS3 to run...). So, I'm in the market for an iMac I think. A Mac Pro is too rich for my blood, a 24" iMac looks lovely but stupidly big, so a 20" with Crucial.com RAM up to 2 or 3GB, the largest possible Apple-fitted hard drive and a couple of firewired drives for system backup and extra archiving would be fine.

Question: looks like they might be upgrading the iMac soon. Rumours say end of June - but historically will that just be an announcement or will they go on sale in the UK the same day? Anyone any ideas at all if they will be full Jonathan Ive-style redesigns or just tweaked upgrades?

Yeah I read that site but all it did was pose questions. Just wanted the opinion of real people as opposed to journalists. ;)

The refreshed iMac, currently on track to arrive by the end of June according to sources, will feature just 20- and 24-inch models.

All just rumors. Apple is always tight lipped.
I would guess by the end of June.

Fair enough. Will just sit and wait.

God it's going to be a long wait. I really really want that big screen, massive RAM and superfast processors :)

Fair enough. Will just sit and wait.

God it's going to be a long wait. I really really want that big screen, massive RAM and superfast processors :)

It usually takes them a while to kick out you out of the Apple store.

I like your sig. One day we'll have apples the size of credit cards and screens that manifest in mid air, projected like holograms. oooh.

...apples the size of credit cards...

Too late.

296585.jpg

Had some conflicting opinions from some of my Apple guru type friends. Mind you, this particular friend didn't know you could get iMacs with 500GB or 750GB drives so...

Anyway, he seemed to think that as WWDC is mostly a software conference it's probably very unlikely that a new iMac will be announced, and that far more likely is a new MBP as the Powerbook design is so ooooold.

I hope he's wrong.

DAMMIT

I really wanted a new iMac to hit the streets this month. I desperately need a desktop Mac that's faster and bigger than my G4 Powerbook for my increasing photography work, and I can't bear the thought of buying one mere months before the new ones come out. If it was just a speed bump I wouldn't care, but it's obviously going to be some sexy news if they're streaming live to London.

September is AGES. :(

What to do what to do what to do... Obviously I'm going to have to wait, but SEPTEMBER??? :(

Someone on another forum I frequent suggested getting a refurb now and when I sell it on in a few months I will make almost all my money back. I doubt that though. Refurb iMacs aren"t THAT much cheaper (a couple of hundred £££ cheaper for the 20" refurb), and when the new ones hit the street at exactly the same price as the old ones (as is historically the case) the value of the current models will drop more than a couple of hundred, plus I've got to go to the hassle of selling, with no guarantee of the price I'll get.

It's an option I'm only entertaining because I'd been looking forward to buying this month. But... but... Gah, I dunno what to do. I'm wrestling with a need for power and space versus a deep rooted desire to be in on the new wave of iMacs when it happens.

There probably going to release a new iMac June 11th.
Ii don't see a reason for a 23" iMac.

Back