Image Capture

Hughvane

Registered
G4 eMac 1.25, OS 10.4.11
I have a musical performance dvd from which I wish to capture one snapshot. It is a 'moment in time' and I'd like to use the shot as a screensaver. The MacOS won't allow screen shots with either Cmd-shift-3 or 4 while viewing the dvd, even when the movie is paused. Does anyone know of a workaround or an application that will capture a still picture from a movie?

G4 eMac 1.25, OS 10.4.11
Does anyone know of ... an application that will capture a still picture from a movie?

Thanks to other contributors, the answer to my own question is VLC player (which I think leaves Apple's own dvd player in the dust). I have the shot capture I wanted. :D

I have a musical performance dvd from which I wish to capture one snapshot. It is a 'moment in time' and I'd like to use the shot as a screensaver. ...
The video on DVD is in MPEG-2 format. This is not a frame-based format. You must rip the DVD into an editable format like .mov. Handbrake is the standard free ripping app for MacOS X. With your video ripped to .mov, you may use QuickTime Pro to select and save single frames. There are also commercial solutions.

You must rip the DVD into an editable format like .mov. Handbrake is the standard free ripping app for MacOS X.

Yes, I have H'brake. I didn't particularly want to rip the whole dvd because it's 8 Gb worth, but your suggestion of QT Pro and its frame capture would be very useful. VLC has done a creditable job meantime.

Back