ImageCapture gives corrupted jpeg files

hall0343

Registered
Recently I used ImageCapture to download digital photos from a Canon EOS camera. Normally I would just use iPhoto, but I was in a hurry and only wanted to download some of the photos (about 200 out of 1000). Anyhow, I spot-checked a few and they looked fine (and all of the thumbnails showed up), but now it seems that almost all of the files are corrupted! Unfortunately, I deleted the originals from the camera before realizing this. Then I tried ImageCapture again with a different camera, and all of the files came through corrupted.

I am wondering if this is a known problem with ImageCapture, and if so, if anyone knows how these files are corrupted and what, if anything, can be done to repair them.

thanks, John

p.s. I'm running OS X 10.4.

Do any of the 'corrupted' images open in other applications, eg. Preview or AppleWorks?

A similar photo problem was posted on a Mac forum about two months ago. Several replies said don't use applications to transfer images from a camera, just use the Finder. Open the volume that mounts to the desktop when you plug your camera in, or use a camera card reader, and simply drag the images you want to where you want. You can view/edit them thereafter.

Thanks for the quick response. The files don't open in Preview either, or in my browser, so they are definitely corrupted. I will just use Finder to download pictures in the future.

I am also wondering if there is any hope of repairing the files. There seem to be several programs available online that claim to do this, but I'm sure it depends a good deal on how the files are corrupted. I'm hoping this issue is common enough that someone could advise me on what to do.

John

Yes, you confirm what I was initially going to suggest, ie. just what part of each file is corrupted? Under OS 9 it used to be the resource fork or the data fork, but I'm not sufficiently au fait with OS X to comment further.

hi , this happened to me one time and it turned out that the card reader was not compatible with the card or osx. this was a few years ago, but figuring that out saved alot of headaches.- andy

Back