iMovie '08 a huge disappointment!

alra111

Registered
I have confirmed that iMovie '08 has actually lost a bunch of features present in the previous version (iMovie HD).

I purchased iLife '08 strictly for its iMovie component. I don't care much for iWeb because I like to write my own HTML code, I thought iPhoto was just fine the way it was, and I rarely even start up GarageBand.

I am so extremely disappointed in Apple right now! I cannot begin to express the letdown.

When I imported my project from iMovie HD and played it, I noticed it didn't look the same at all. After a few more seconds of playback, I noticed it had stripped my project of every video effect I had added.

This is so unlike Apple, they usually go forwards, not backwards. Any idea why they did this? Does anyone know if the other iLife components also took a turn for the worse?

I love the part where iMovie '08 imported my old iMovie HD project and took the liberty of removing all the special effects without so much as a warning. Even Microsoft warns you when you are saving a file in a format that cannot be read by another application or an older version of it. This is my first bad experience with an Apple product on such a grand scale, so I am still quite in shock.

...And to think I went out in public wearing a Leopard T-shirt...

I am going to need an extra dose of Lexapro tonight...

I can't believe I spent $79 to downgrade my iMovie.

...on the other hand, Apple provide a free download of iMovie HD (i.e. iMovie from iLife '06) for those who have iLife '08 and are not happy with the newer version of iMovie. So you will have the option of either version of iMovie, while also getting the benefits of having the newer versions of the other iLife apps.

...on the other hand, Apple provide a free download of iMovie HD (i.e. iMovie from iLife '06) for those who have iLife '08 and are not happy with the newer version of iMovie. So you will have the option of either version of iMovie, while also getting the benefits of having the newer versions of the other iLife apps.

Wow, that is generous of them...well, I already have one project ruined during its import by iMovie '08...and I'm stuck with a $79 piece of software that I'm not going to use (my sole reason for buying iLife '08 was iMovie, never would have bothered to upgrade the others)...

Next time I need to do my research...thoroughly...before upgrading...

I guess this free download they're offering is an admittance of sorts that they're aware that their new iMovie SUX.

Alra111

Just curious, was your old iMovie stuff made on a G4? Or a G5?

I know this puts me in the 'black ops helicopter and tin foil hat' brigade, but I'm starting to notice more and more of a trend here-their new stuff works great on their new boxes but disables features/breaks stuff when run on the older hardware. Now I can sure understand not trying to do HD on the old G4, or turning down the compute intensive eye candy, but in normal resolutions there's no reason why the Altivec in the G4 can't do the new stuff, even if it might take a second. And with the G5s, those had gigahertz class frontside bus, and 2+GHz CPUs (Apple specifically talked up how good they are for HD video), yet they specifically disable features of the new iMovie software on a G5. Gee, you'll have to drop another few grand or more to get that to work..

Shameful. They're no better than Microsoft on this front, sadly :-(

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of what they do, but sometimes I do find fault with their actions.

Just curious, was your old iMovie stuff made on a G4? Or a G5?

I know this puts me in the 'black ops helicopter and tin foil hat' brigade, but I'm starting to notice more and more of a trend here-their new stuff works great on their new boxes but disables features/breaks stuff when run on the older hardware. Now I can sure understand not trying to do HD on the old G4, or turning down the compute intensive eye candy, but in normal resolutions there's no reason why the Altivec in the G4 can't do the new stuff, even if it might take a second. And with the G5s, those had gigahertz class frontside bus, and 2+GHz CPUs (Apple specifically talked up how good they are for HD video), yet they specifically disable features of the new iMovie software on a G5. Gee, you'll have to drop another few grand or more to get that to work..

Shameful. They're no better than Microsoft on this front, sadly :-(

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of what they do, but sometimes I do find fault with their actions.

No, my old stuff (which I was just working on yesterday) was made on a 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac with 1GB RAM. Thankfully, I only ruined like two projects by importing them into the new version of iMovie. I am going to d/l the old version from the website so I don't ruin any more of my projects. So, lovely, I pay for this software and now I have to "downgrade" to get my old features back. I have sent an e-mail to Apple expressing my extreme dissatisfaction. They spent paragraphs describing iMovie 08's new features but not once did they mention they took out half the features of the old iMovie. Honestly, if I'd had any clue, I would never have spent the $79 on this crap. I would've upgraded to Final Cut Express at least... (not ready to shell out $1000+ for Final Cut Studio JUST yet)...

Alra111

I have confirmed that iMovie '08 has actually lost a bunch of features present in the previous version (iMovie HD).

I purchased iLife '08 strictly for its iMovie component. I don't care much for iWeb because I like to write my own HTML code, I thought iPhoto was just fine the way it was, and I rarely even start up GarageBand.

I am so extremely disappointed in Apple right now! I cannot begin to express the letdown.

When I imported my project from iMovie HD and played it, I noticed it didn't look the same at all. After a few more seconds of playback, I noticed it had stripped my project of every video effect I had added.

This is so unlike Apple, they usually go forwards, not backwards. Any idea why they did this? Does anyone know if the other iLife components also took a turn for the worse?

I love the part where iMovie '08 imported my old iMovie HD project and took the liberty of removing all the special effects without so much as a warning. Even Microsoft warns you when you are saving a file in a format that cannot be read by another application or an older version of it. This is my first bad experience with an Apple product on such a grand scale, so I am still quite in shock.

...And to think I went out in public wearing a Leopard T-shirt...

I am going to need an extra dose of Lexapro tonight...

I can't believe I spent $79 to downgrade my iMovie.

After I called Apple and told them what happened, they went above and beyond the call of duty and took care of my issue much to my satisfaction.

I once again hold Apple in the highest regard!

Alra111

As far as quicktime related software and music and movies, Apple has actually gone way backwards in the last decade. Remember when in OS8 and 9, freely coping and pasting movie and sound segments on Quicktime player was a given? Now these are features you can only get through Pro. As for iTunes, there was a time when you could separately programme each songs lead in and lead out, very nice options for the average home/dorm dj. I think I'll stick with the old version of iMovie for a while...

I find amusing to read posts by people who obviously did no research on what they were buying. Jobs in the announcement of iMovie 7, talked about the inspiration of the new version being that it took far to long to get a video created. The original intent of iMovie was not to get a pro application for $20. It was made for mom and dad to easily create something that looked good. All the people out there that are complaining about how the new version of iMovie has ruined their lives, more than likely needed to upgrade to FCE a long time ago but were too cheap.

The product we have now I believe fits the intent of iMoviem, which was the ability for the rest of us to show off our kid, vacations, etc to our friends and family, not to create the next sundance film festival winner.

Back