iMovie HD Problem. OSX 10.3.9

andyalibi

Registered
iMovie problem i could do with some help on.
I output my movie to a .dv file and compare with original. Fine, yep they look as the same as these eyes can tell!
I then output my short movie to digital dv tape (on Canon XL2) and playback results but hold on a minute it doesn't look the same. The text on the credits is all... degraded, lost its clarity, all bitty.
Now i was led to believe that 0s & 1s were always the same no matter what digital format they were stored on but this reminds me of analogue degradation.
I've tried changing tapes, changing cameras to no avail, which just leaves iMovie.
Anyone else come across this? Any solutions?
Thanks...

hello! is there anyone out there using iMovie? (Am i the only one left in this Wyndham novel??!!)
Please read below...and even if you have NO problems with outputting to DVtape please let me know. At least then i would know it WAS possible and that it was just me/operator error... and just a case of identifying the problem...
Thanks whoever you are!

andyalibi said:
iMovie problem i could do with some help on.
I output my movie to a .dv file and compare with original. Fine, yep they look as the same as these eyes can tell!
I then output my short movie to digital dv tape (on Canon XL2) and playback results but hold on a minute it doesn't look the same. The text on the credits is all... degraded, lost its clarity, all bitty.
Now i was led to believe that 0s & 1s were always the same no matter what digital format they were stored on but this reminds me of analogue degradation.
I've tried changing tapes, changing cameras to no avail, which just leaves iMovie.
Anyone else come across this? Any solutions?
Thanks...

I think that by exporting to DV tapes, you will lose quality. The movies should look good, but text and stuff will loose sharpness. You could export to DVD, or even try regualr old tapes, and you should notice an improvement in quality.

I'm exporting to MiniDV rather than DVD, cos i been specifically asked to (as many places do, it seems)... exporting to analogue (VHS?) tape seems to defeat the purpose of working in digital, doesn't it? Why is there this quality loss with this digital information? And backing up is hardly 'backing up' with this level of quality degradation!
Anyone else encountered this atall? Anyone else bothered to check their tapes? Am i the only person ever been asked to provide material on miniDV? Is this normal with iMovie? Does the same thing happen with FCP? Should i just club hammer tha tape? ARggghhhh!

Thanks for your response ...Yep, brand new tapes, still wrapped, both Panasonic and JVC - same result. New Canon XL2 used for transfer, also tried Canon MV3i - same result. Only variable not changed = iMovie. Which is why i'm trawling around asking other people if they are getting the same thing: it would be good to hear from other iMovie users to hear if they have the same problem. That way i could identify if it were simply a common iMovie fault or operator error or if there is a workaround.

Hi Andy,
It might be obvious, but are you sending the dv back down the firewire link (you are correct in that your pictures if kept within the digital domain should be an exact replica - which they will most definitely not be if you go to DVD (horrid MPEG compression artifacts) or analogue tape.) Even old DV tapes should work perfectly - the only real risk being dropout. How are you watching these recordings back - on your tv or the computer monitor ? The DV recording will be interlaced as is your TV and your computer monitor is progressive which means they may look a bit jagged and smeary ?
Sorry to have no answers but perhaps these questions will help us sort you out !
Cheers
Rob C

Thanks for reply Rob. Yep, copies being done via firewire (of course) to brand new miniDv tapes (of varying brands). The original .dv output (at full quality) looks perfect tho. Ironically the degradation on the tape back-up looks similar to the degradation when it goes to DVD (ie post MPEG compression). However the tape back-up doesn't have any MPEG compression (as far as I know)! All viewed on mac monitor. Only really noticable on the text. I'm totaly lost. EVERYONE is telling me the tape back-up should be identical. But my eyes are seeing the same thing every time i look. Frankly i'm giving up on iMovie and migrating to FCP!!! I've had enuf!!

Andy,
Try watching one of your tapes on an ordinary tv or an NTSC or PAL (not sure which side of the pond you are on!) monitor and not on your mac monitor and see if the problem still occurs. I remember doing a project for my son's school with graphics/text pages from Photoshop as sequence links. They were fine in FCP, but when I had dumped them onto DV tape and played them back via my mac they were awful, but on a normal TV they were fine. Text rendered for interlaced recording will look bad on a progressive scan (i.e computer) monitor.

Cheers

Rob C

Back