iMovie: Installing the Plug-In Pack in X

themacko

Barking at the moon.
Okay, so I've finally made the decision to move to OSX. It's really sweet and runs like a champ, but that's not the point. I downloaded the iMovie Plug-In Pack for OSX off Apple.com, but I can't figure out how to install it!

Now before you shake your head at me, I did read the instructions. It says drag the Plug-Ins folder to Applications/iMovie for Mac OS X/Resources/Plugins and restart iMovie. That's good and all, but there is no iMovie for Mac OS X folder in Applications. There is an iMovie icon which is the app, but no folder. I looked around the Library for something similar, but didn't see it. Am I missing something a 9 year-old would have found in 30 seconds? Probably.

Anyone know of what I should do now?

I had the exact same problem.

What you have to do is go to the Apple site and download the newest version of iMovie that is made for OS X.

If you have iMovie 2, you probably just have the Carbonized version that will also run under OS 9. There is a new version available for free download called iMovie for OS X. It is actually iMovie 2.1.1.

After you download it and install it, you will find the folder you are looking for.

Make sure you delete your old version of iMovie. Until you do, even a new alias made from the new version will launch the old version if it's still on your hard drive (at least it did on mine).

Once you've got the new version, install the plugins EXACTLY the way the instructions say to. Stupid me, I thought I could install the way I would a Photoshop plug on put them loose in the plugins folder. No dice! You have to do it just like Apple wants or it doesn't work.

Once I did the download, all the new effects and transitions were available.

Hope this helps.

Back