iMovie is grainy when imported to iDVD

Golfer099

Registered
I created an iphoto slideshow with music. I wanted to put it on a DVD, so we put the photsos into iMovie with some titles and more music. Then I opened iDVD and put the movie in. I had the theater into page from iDVD and it looked clear on screen. When I burned the DVD and put it back into the computer - it was all grainy. Could it be the flat screen monitor (1Ghz 17" iMac)? The photos are clear in iPhoto. Any suggestions? I could use the slideshow feature in iDVD but i also want to add titles to the pictures, etc.

Also, I need to make 3 DVDs with the same movie to send to relatives in Europe. I know how to create the iMovie and iDVD in PAL, but how do I make sure the DVD burns to region 2? Do I need DVD Studio Pro or does iDVD do that?

Golfer099 said:
When I burned the DVD and put it back into the computer - it was all grainy. Could it be the flat screen monitor (1Ghz 17" iMac)?

Well, yes and no. Yes, but not for the reason you think - iDVD and iMovie have to scale the photos down to NTSC resolution, which is shockingly low, roughly 640x480. There's no way around it, unfortunately - but when you watch it on a regular television it looks normal. By comparison, it looks pretty crummy on a nice sharp LCD monitor, which reveals all its flaws.

Golfer099 said:
Also, I need to make 3 DVDs with the same movie to send to relatives in Europe. I know how to create the iMovie and iDVD in PAL, but how do I make sure the DVD burns to region 2? Do I need DVD Studio Pro or does iDVD do that?

I *think* the discs iDVD produces are "all region" - though I could be wrong.

EDIT: I was right.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60788#faq12

Back