iMovie Performance on Powerbooks

lurk

Mitä?
Howdy All,

I was just wondering about the usability of iMovie and the like is on the new powerbooks. I tried to use it on my 667 Mhz G4 and it was really kind of disappointing. Would getting one of the new 1.25 Ghz machines help that much? Or is this really a G5 only need apply sort of thing...

Thanks a bunch!

-Eric

On the 15" TiBook 1GHz/512RAM that I had until recently, the performance was almost perfect for my taste... My new 15" AluBook 1.25GHz/512RAM makes it even better! Of course there are some "advanced" filters that make both PowerBooks to slow down but the same can be said for my Dual G5 2GHz/512RAM :p

I think for advanced DV effects/filters the best thing that can happen to a DV user is FCE2 or FCP4 :) Or a Dual G5 3GHz/8GB RAM ;)

lurk said:
I was just wondering about the usability of iMovie and the like is on the new powerbooks. I tried to use it on my 667 Mhz G4 and it was really kind of disappointing.

Weird...runs fine for me on the iBook (G3 900). There's some lag on the heavier filters, but in general not to bad. I would kinda expect a 667 g4 to be a little better than a g3.

How much ram do you have in your tibook?

I have a gig of ram but my power book is one of the older vga 667s in the next version they added DVI, doubled the video ram and added a level 3 cache so it may well be that a newer iBook can beat it. I still like it though :)

I am partially looking at what might be a minimal upgrade that would work well since I really am content with my present machine except for the fact that I would like to edit some video of the kids and I am not having much luck.

Thanks for the advice and any more that may come.
-Eric

Have you had any issues with other programs running slow? How much HD space is left? The smaller drives in the laptops seems to fill up quite quickly.

Back