iMovie S-Video Imput

Bottlelot

Registered
Hey guys,

Got a question about S-Video compatibility with iMovie. I've got a Sony Handycam. Is there a program for OSX or a plug in for iMovie or Quicktime Pro which will allow S-Video input?

Thanks for your time,
-Zak

Hey yal,

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I just really need to know if this is possible. I've got an event coming up this weekend and I need to know which camera to bring.

That's probably what I'll do. But is there a cable that goes from Svideo to firewire? Or a plug in for quicktime pro, or iMovie?

You need to forget about S-Video. It is an analog technology which requires seperate audio connections. FireWire is the standard connection for digital video.

Mr. Me is right, we must let go of the past. Still, I remember the day (1995) when my Quadra 660AV came with S-Video in! I still think this would be a nice computer feature, but I can understand where only a few people would every really need that. I have a Canopus ADVC-300 for AD and it is fantastic for any need AD computer in/out need you could ask for.

I think the question's misunderstood, though. I think you _can't_ get an S-Video signal into iMovie directly. You either need to first capture S-Video input a different way into a format (Quicktime) that iMovie can take - or have a FireWire (iLink) connector on the cam.

I think the question's misunderstood, though. ...
With all due respect, I don't think anyone misunderstood anything. To convert analog video into digital video would cost the OP much more than he is probably willing to pay. Even if he paid the price, then his result would not really look particularly good by today's standards. It is easier to advise him to let it go and move on.

Back