iMovie scene detection for imported clips?

guilly

Too handsome to use a PC
Hello everybody.

I hope somebody knows. If I import a movie (not from a DV device) let's say a MPEG4 movie using the Import menu option, iMovie won't automatically detect the scenes of the imported clip, neither can I find the option to do so manually. All I can do is split the clip in the timeline manually.

Is there a way/plugin/whatsoever to automatically detect scenes from clips when they have not been imported via DV?

Thanx everybody!
guilly :p

it may be an incompatibility. I have made two movies with iMovie, both from footage from other peoples cameras. One was a $AU1300 JVC(i think) and it detected all the scene breaks fine. The other was from a ~$AU1000 Sony and it didn't pick up ANY scene breaks, it just cut each clip at 9 minutes 27 seconds or whatever it is (works out to 2gb i think..)

hi Pengu, thanx for your reply, but I believe I did not make myself clear enough.

I have no trouble when importing from my DV camcorder. It works fine. I mean that iMovie does not auto-split the video file when importing a video file from somewhere in your HD (for example); that is the option from the menu bar->File->Import. Therefore I get THAT video file as a whole clip, and I want to auto-split it. Some other software in Windows (sorry to mention ::angel::) allows you to auto-detect scenes on the clips inside the clip collection.

Any idea?

No sorry, I think that was my bad. I understand that you want to auto-split a mpeg/dv/QT clip from HD. Im just saying maybe the scene detection part of the software needs more development to get better features/compatibility. :)

Pengu said:
No sorry, I think that was my bad. I understand that you want to auto-split a mpeg/dv/QT clip from HD. Im just saying maybe the scene detection part of the software needs more development to get better features/compatibility. :)
Ahps, I suppose it now makes more sense. Thank you 4 the info ;)

My understanding of iMovie is that the scene detection on import from a DVR is predicated on the interrupt or change in the control track on the recording media. iMovie detects this change and creates a new clip everytime it encounters this control track interruption. ----Unless the clip is longer than 2 gig then it will segment the clips according to a 2gig file size limitation which turns out to be about 9 - 10 minutes.
Hope this helps
Best Regards
Andy

Andy_Potvin said:
My understanding of iMovie is that the scene detection on import from a DVR is predicated on the interrupt or change in the control track on the recording media. iMovie detects this change and creates a new clip everytime it encounters this control track interruption. ----Unless the clip is longer than 2 gig then it will segment the clips according to a 2gig file size limitation which turns out to be about 9 - 10 minutes.
Hope this helps
Andy

It does provide some useful information, but it does not solve my problem. Ok, let's forget iMovie. Is there an scene detection program for a movie file (.mov, .mpeg....)? (for Mac OS X, of course).

Hello everybody.

I hope somebody knows. If I import a movie (not from a DV device) let's say a MPEG4 movie using the Import menu option, iMovie won't automatically detect the scenes of the imported clip, neither can I find the option to do so manually. All I can do is split the clip in the timeline manually.

Is there a way/plugin/whatsoever to automatically detect scenes from clips when they have not been imported via DV?

Thanx everybody!
guilly :p

Hello,
Yes, such tool exists for Macs - it can detect each scene using image similarity and put each scene to a separate tiny .mov file (it will refer your original movie file, so it will be 2kb in size only, and any player that supports .mov files will be able to open it).

Back