importing emails from to Mail in Tiger

squishmusic

Registered
Hello all

I have upgraded from an old iMac G3 (running OSX 3.9) to an iMac G5 (10.4.3)
I have opened mail app and set up my account (the same as I had before)
I copied my entire home folder to my ext hardisk
I now wish to import my mailboxes (and all my old mesages) into mail
I did this using the mail import asst that is triggered after setting a new account.
Mail then retrieved the current inbox messages for my account(not from the importorted ones)
All the imported mailboxes did indeed show up in mail under the 'import' folder
However all of these mailboxes were/are empty!!!
Where are these actual messages now??
I looked under 'saved' home>library>mail>mailboxes
I have several files in the mailboxes, info.plist, contents index, mbox, table of contents

When I look under the home for the new G5 iMac, I see in th e mailbox that there are different files mbox>messages>emlx files?

Is there a different filing architecture under Tiger?

Please help!
:)

thanx

squishmusic said:
Hello all

I have upgraded from an old iMac G3 (running OSX 3.9) to an iMac G5 (10.4.3)
I have opened mail app and set up my account (the same as I had before)
I copied my entire home folder to my ext hardisk
I now wish to import my mailboxes (and all my old mesages) into mail
I did this using the mail import asst that is triggered after setting a new account.

thanx

Do you want to import your mail in the TIGER mail server ? If so, i have a set of commands which might take care of that.

Kees

Hi I would like to import my mailboxes from a networked g3 to my g4. would the same commands work. could I get them please?
Connor

Kees Buijs said:
Do you want to import your mail in the TIGER mail server ? If so, i have a set of commands which might take care of that.
I can't speak for the other posters, but I want to switch to the Tiger mail server. Tell me more.

Whitehill said:
I can't speak for the other posters, but I want to switch to the Tiger mail server. Tell me more.

Sorry, for some reason i missed this reply. Although a little late, here they are.

Commands:
su

(* scp moves files from old mailserver to new mailserver. *)

scp -r -p root@mailserver:/var/spool/imap/user /var/spool/imap

mv /var/imap /var/imap.old
mkdir /var/imap
/usr/bin/cyrus/tools/mkimap
chown -R cyrusimap:mail /var/imap
chown -R cyrusimap:mail /var/spool/imap
sudo -u cyrusimap /usr/bin/cyrus/bin/reconstruct -i
sudo -u cyrusimap /usr/bin/cyrus/bin/cyrus-quota -f

Good luck, kees

Yay!
I was having the same problem, importing mail from my old machine to my new one. When i tried to import, empty mailboxes. I had tried alot of things, including directly copying the contents of my old User>Library>Mail to the new one.

THEN i found the following on apple's support site: (not method 1, but method 2 at the bottum)
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42941

The step that I had been missing was copying the OLD PREFERENCE FILE for mail into my new Preferences Folder! Duh! So, the following is what i did step by step.

first , I made sure the Mail app wasnt running (i quit it).

Second, I backed-up my recent mail on my new machine, (when i couldnt import my old mail, i setup mailboxes, ect, to receive mail from that point on.) Ie, i made a copy of User>Library>Mail (folder) on my desktop.

Next, i deleted the contents of the Mail Folder, so it was empty, as it would have been if i'd never used mail.

Then, I copied the contents of my old User>Library>Mail folder to the new one. (for others who have this problem from updating their OS, you would copy the contents of your backedup Mail Folder to the new mail folder)

I then copied my OLD mail preference file (user> preferences> com.apple.mail.plist ) to my new user>preferences folder.

I started mail, pressed "next", and it began automatically 'importing' the old mail I had stuck in my new MAIL folder, without prompting me for anything. When it finished, and opened Mail, all my mail was there.

MY next step, because i had been using mail already on my new machine, was to re-import my newer mail, using File>Import Mailboxes. Its showed up in a folder marked "Import", but then I just dragged the contents to the appropriate folders, and all was as it should be.

This ALSO solved, somehow, the fact that i could not create new mailboxes. after doing the above, i can.

THANK GOD! Now life can go back to normal.

Back