Importing Mail From 10.3.9 to 10.4.2 Not Working

yakasha

Registered
I backed up my email by just copying my mail folders to another system (scp -r POP-domain.com) before formatting my drive and installing 10.4.2.

I've tried importing from 'Mail for OS X', and 'Other'. Importing from Mail only imports an empty 'Sent' folder, not my inbox. Importing from Other appears to read the emails (I see familiar subjects flash by), but nothing gets imported. I've also tried simply copying the files to my new Mail folder. Nothing.

I'm a moderate user. I'm not scared of the command line.

It sounds to me as though you are trying to use a sledgehammer to kill a knat. MacOS X 10.4 comes with the Migration Assistant. You may find it in your Utilities folder.

Nope. I only have 1 mac. My one mac only has 10.4.2 installed (I wiped the hd). Migration Assistant is no help.

Mail, according to the help files, should be able to read the mail folders just fine and import the email. Its not. I decided to install Thunderbird and try importing there to see if my email got corrupted somehow. Thunderbird reads and imports my email just fine. So, I tried telling Mail to import from Thunderbird's folders...
First 'From Netscape/Mozilla' (Mail says no valid folders found), then from 'Other' (It runs through email subjects, but the imported inbox is empty).

Oh well. Guess I'll just have to use Thunderbird or another email program that works.

Zammy-Sam said:
Check out our HOW-TO forum. We had a thread on this.

Awesome, ty. I checked it out and will be posting there now. I didn't copy my preferences folder so I don't have my original com.apple.mail.plist.

But I'm closer.

Back